Ways to Integrate Zines in the Classroom
- Include zines as part of the reading on a syllabus.
- Encourage students to cite zinesters.
- Incorporate zines as primary sources.
- Use zines to teach history of marginalized peoples.
- Have students make zines individually or as a group.
- Allow students to submit zines as projects.
- Visit the zine archive or zines at the Sarah Doyle.
- Discuss zine and radical publishing history.
- Study the artistic side of independent publishing (and create!)
- So much more!
Additional Resources for Teaching with Zines
- Simmons College Guide to Zines in the Classroom
- Let’s Talk about Zines in the Classroom--Pros and Cons by Liz Mayoraga of POC Zine Project
- Using Zines in the Classroom by Jason Luther
- Barnard College’s Teaching with Zines
- Zine Resources for Teachers