Commercial Photography or Filming

As a higher education institution dedicated to educating its students in a residential setting, Brown University rarely permits the use of its campus or facilities for commercial filming or photography.

Only in exceptional cases will such requests be granted when it is clear that doing so will not disrupt the activities or operations of the University, and will not jeopardize the privacy of members of our campus community.

Commercial photography is defined as the capture of still or motion images on or in a Brown University property for the purpose of using that space as a location only, with no intent to convey a Brown activity or use.

As such, commercial photography, still and/or motion, is not permitted on the Brown campus without prior written consent. Filming or image capture for the purpose of news reporting about Brown is distinct and covered separately by the University's Access to Campus policy for news media.

These space requests must be made by contacting the Office of Event and Conference Services in the Department of Facilities Management whose staff will consult with the Office of University Communications regarding the use.

Granted requests will be subject to the following: space rental and cancelations fees, equipment rental, indemnification agreements and insurance waivers, and other associated costs. Agreement with Brown’s Name Use Policy and other activity-specific policies also will be required.

Office of University Event & Conference Services
Brown University
Conferences & Event Support:
Phone: (401) 863-3100
Fax: (401) 863-1943

Distributing Commercial Images

Commercial uses of campus images in any form, including but not limited to advertising and merchandising, require prior consent of the University.  The Associate Vice President for Marketing Communications in the Office of University Communications reviews all commercial use requests.

Office of University Communications
Brown University
Phone: (401) 863-2453
Office Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.