Departmental Information

Departmental Information

The Cash and Check Handling Policy can be found on the University Policies webpage at

Written authorization from the Cashier's Office is required before a department can accept cash or check payments.  The Cashier's Office will work individually with departments to ensure proper cash controls.  All departments must follow University cash and check handling policies.   

Giving to Brown - You can support Brown in a variety of ways, please click on the link for more information

Wire Transfers - Contact your bank and request funds to be transferred to Brown University using the following information:

Receiving Bank Information 

Bank Name:
Bank of America
185 Asylum Street
Hartford, CT 06103
ABA Routing #:
026009593 (for domestic wire transfers)*
BOFAUS3N (for international wire transfers)*

Beneficiary Information

Account Name:
Brown University
Account #:
Contact Cashier at (401) 863-1280 for account number information
Special Instructions
Additional information for Brown to ensure proper credit of funds

*In order to ensure proper and timely credit, it is vital the sender provide additional "special instruction" information such as student name, account number, gift or pledge, or departmental contact and account number.

*Please note:  Some banks deduct a fee from funds wired, meaning the actual amount received and credited may be less that the intended origination amount. To ensure full credit at Brown, the remitter should add wire fee charges to the amount being wired.

* To confirm receipt of a wire, contact the Cashiers Office at (401) 863-1280 or email [email protected]. Wires received from overseas banks may take longer than domestic wires.

*Departments that are expecting a wire should notify the Cashiers Office at [email protected]Please include in your notification email the amount of the wire expected as well as the department worktags that the funds should be credited to.  This ensures timely credit to the appropriate web ledgers.

Automated Clearing House (ACH) ACH is an electronic network for financial transactions. Accounts are identified by the bank's routing number and the account number with the bank. Please note that a debit card number or corporate account is not acceptable for purposes of ACH transactions. All third-party vendor ACH payment information should be provided from the University Cashier Office to the vendor directly. Please contact [email protected] for the appropriate set up. 

ACH Payments - ACH payments are accepted for student account charges and can be initiated by accessing the student record at https://payment.brown.eduEither the student or an authorized user (established by the student) may set up an ACH Payment. An authorized user should be only a family member and not an outside agency as privileged student account information can be viewed.  ACH payments can be scheduled for processing that day or for a future date. These payments can only be processed by using a U.S. personal checking or savings account.  Please note that a debit card number or corporate account is not acceptable for purposes of ACH transactions. 

ACH Payment Returns - ACH payments may be returned due to insufficient funds, incorrect account number, etc. will result in the reversal of the payment and a $20 returned payment charge. In addition, a returned ACH payment may result in a late payment charge if no other form of payment is received prior to the payment due date.

ARC /POP Policies - The University processes checks received by mail or in person via ARC /POP. The process of converting personal checks into an electronic check format will streamline timing and reduce processing costs.  

  • When you provide a check for payment, you authorize Brown University to either use the information from your check to make a one-time electronic fund transfer from your account or to process the payment as a check transaction.
  • When information from your check is used to make an electronic fund transfer, funds may be withdrawn from your account as soon as the same day that we receive your payment and you will not receive your check back from your financial institution.
  • For questions, please contact the Cashier's Office at 401-863-1280.

Departmental Deposits - Each Departmental Deposit must be submitted with a departmental deposit form to the Cashier's Office for processing. All information must be completed on the form in order to ensure accurate and timely processing. Please review the Controller's Office General Accounting page for assistance with valid worktags.

Cash Request Procedures - Each department must complete and return a Cash Request Form to request cash. The form must contain the date, departmental name, department contact, phone, address for funds to be delivered to, denomination, accounting code, accounting description and authorized signature. All cash orders must be placed by 10:00 am to ensure three-day delivery service. Orders placed after 10:00 am are processed on the next business day. Please keep this in mind to ensure that the department will have proper cash on hand if needed. Cash requests after 4:30 pm are processed on the next business day.

Due to the ongoing national coin shortage, coin orders are limited as follows:
$10 maximum per order in pennies
$10 maximum per order in nickels
$15 maximum per order in dimes
$30 maximum per order in quarters

Departments should plan well in advance for cash and coin orders during peak University periods (i.e. commencement, reunion weekend, fiscal and calendar year end, semester start weeks, etc.)

Bank of America/Brinks Supplies - Please use this form to submit requests for supplies needed for banking or Brinks items. The Financial Services Operations / Cashier team will place the order accordingly and notify you upon receipt. Total costs will be charged to the department according to the worktags provided. Please note that orders can take up to 2-3 weeks, please plan accordingly. 

Petty Cash -Reference the University Petty Cash Policy for details on replenishing a petty casy fund at the Cashier's Office. 

 Credit Card E-commerce Polices & Procedures - This policy applies to any department associated with the University that conducts business credit card transactions or is responsible for developing and maintaining a University website to conduct business transactions via gathers credit card information.

Gift Accounting - Any department that receives a gift, donation or pledge must submit cash, checks or credit card receipts to the Gift Cashier for processing. Please send gift deposits with a Gift Deposit Form

Miscellaneous Account Receivable - Customer Accounts - All University departments required to bill an outside agency for items owed to Brown University must invoice through the University system.  This process requires a specialized role in Workday.  Please email [email protected] or call 401-863-1763 with questions.