1. Q. What is IDOC?
A. The College Board's Institutional Documentation Service (IDOC) collects documents from financial aid applicants on behalf of Brown’s Office of Financial Aid. The Office of Financial Aid will use these documents to verify information from your financial aid application (CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE and/or Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)) and to better understand your family's financial circumstances. The College Board notifies Brown applicants for financial aid when and how to submit the required documents. Once the College Board receives your information, electronic files containing your documents are transmitted securely to the Brown University Office of Financial Aid.
For families who apply to institutions that use IDOC, one submission of the family’s financial supporting documents to IDOC serves to eliminate the family’s need to send this information to each individual school.
To understand any aspect of the IDOC submission process, including how to navigate the IDOC website, please access the Frequently Asked Questions web link at the TOP of the student’s IDOC portal page. This is accessible after signing in to the IDOC website.
2. Q. How will I receive notice regarding which documents should be sent to IDOC?
A. Application requirements may vary for financial aid applicants, depending on several factors. Therefore, a unique listing of all possible submission requirements for each student applicant is outlined in the IDOC portal after the student logs in. The student can also visit the Office of Financial Aid’s website.
3. Q. I was notified by the College Board that Brown University is a school that requires IDOC but Brown is not listed in the IDOC portal or IDOC is not listed as a requirement on the student’s Brown Banner Self Service portal. Why?
A. Not all families are requested by Brown to submit to IDOC. If no requirements appear as outstanding on Brown’s Banner self-service, we have all the necessary information to determine the students’ financial aid eligibility at this time. Once the Office of Financial Aid reviews your initial application materials for financial aid, which may include only the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and/or the CSS PROFILE, we may later request additional information through IDOC. The Office of Financial Aid will notify the student via email if additional information is needed. In cases where an incoming applicant may have already submitted to IDOC for another school, Brown simply downloads the IDOC data at that time.
A. If you do not receive an email notification from IDOC and it is listed as a requirement, please contact us at email@example.com and we will provide you with instructions.
5. Q. How do I actually submit documents to IDOC?
A. The student may use ONE of two options:
- Online – Upload all required documents through the IDOC web portal.
- By Mail – Print out an IDOC cover sheet from the IDOC portal and mail all documents as instructed.
6. Q. Should I proceed with an IDOC submission if I don’t have 2015 Federal Income Tax Returns complete?
A. NO! Please read on.
7. Q. Our tax return(s) won't be complete until after Brown’s IDOC submission deadline. What should we do?
A. Submit to IDOC as soon as possible after our deadline, even if late. Include your completed 2015 tax return information. This applies to both U.S. and Canadian tax filers.
8. Q. We have or will file an Income Tax Return Extension with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). What should we do?
A. You will not be using the IDOC service at this time. If you have secured an extension to file your tax return at a later date, submit a copy of IRS Form 4868 in lieu of the tax return, along with copies of all 2015 W2 wage/earning forms directly to the Office of Financial Aid, not to the IDOC service. Once your 2015 federal income taxes are completed, submit a signed copy via PDF attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. Q. Once my IDOC information has been submitted, how do I confirm all the documents have been processed and Brown has received this information?
A. The Financial Aid Requirements section of the student’s Banner self-service account will be updated within 10-12 business days after the IDOC submission. The IDOC requirement will show as “satisfied.” If Brown seeks any requirements that were not submitted to IDOC, they will be listed as requirements after our initial review. Please note, until your previous year tax return requirements have been fully submitted to IDOC, your IDOC requirement will not be considered complete.
10. Q. I have already submitted an IDOC packet however I have additional information I would like to submit. Where do I send this information?
A. Only ONE submission should be made to IDOC. Please gather all requirements and upload or submit these documents all at one time.
Students who have separated/divorced parents should have only ONE submission on behalf of EACH parent.
Any additional information that you would like to submit AFTER making your initial submission should be emailed in PDF file format via attachment to email@example.com. The student’s full name, date of birth, and Brown University Banner ID# should be referenced.
11. Q. Who can I contact with additional IDOC questions or concerns?
A. Please contact the College Board directly with questions about IDOC at 1-305-420-3670.