New Undergraduate Student Veteran Initiatives for 2020-2021
Please note these initiatives apply to undergraduate students only.
Graduate students please visit this page.
Post 911 GI Bill® and the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
Brown continues its commitment to veterans by collaborating with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) in support of the Post 9/11 GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program.
1. Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits (effective August 1, 2019):
- Up to $24,476 annually towards the cost of a private institution's tuition and fees
- A monthly housing allowance equal to the basic allowance for housing payable to an E-5 with dependents, in the same zip code as the school
- Yearly books and supplies stipend of up to $1,000 per year
To determine if you are eligible for this program, please visit the Student Veterans and Commissioning Programs website or contact the VA.
2. Yellow Ribbon Program
This program is a subset of the Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefit Program. Students who are receiving Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits may also be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program.
- Brown will continue to support an unlimited number of eligible undergraduate Yellow Ribbon recipients for the academic year 2020-21. This support applies to eligible veterans or dependents of eligible veterans.
- Mandatory tuition and fees will be covered 100% by a combination of Post-9/11 G.I. Bill educational benefits, Brown’s Yellow Ribbon scholarship and matching funds from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Maximum funding would vary if a student is enrolled less than full-time.
- Undergraduate students are required to submit their Certificate of Eligibility directly to the Office of Financial Aid.
- The student need not be a recipient of need-based aid to receive either benefit.
For criteria of eligibility for the Yellow Ribbon Program for a veteran or a dependent of a veteran, please visit the Student Veterans and Commissioning Programs website or contact the VA.
|1. Students must be an admitted or currently enrolled student in a degree program.|
|2. Students must apply for benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill with the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs|
|3. Students must forward a Certificate of Eligibility or the Transfer of Entitlement from the VA to the Office of Financial Aid.|
• All VA educational benefits, including allowances for room and board, books, tuition, and Yellow Ribbon funding, will be coordinated with other University and federal financial aid funds as part of the total financial aid package.
• Certification of enrollment with the VA will be completed through the Registrar's Office.
University Contact Information
For questions related to eligibility and veteran support, visit the Student Veterans and Commissioning Programs website.
For questions related to VA funding for undergraduates, contact the Office of Financial Aid at 401-863-2721 or [email protected].
For assistance in obtaining a certification of enrollment at Brown, contact the Registrar Office at 401-863-2500 or [email protected].