Students taking Wintersession courses that meet on campus will be able to stay in the same dorm room as they do during the regular academic year, at no additional cost. Students who live off-campus should budget their normal rent cost for the month of January. Students should not anticipate a refund for housing.
Residence halls will reopen for Wintersession students on Monday, January 1. Students may contact the Department of Public Safety at 401-863-3322 for assistance with accessing their building in the event of a card malfunction. Students cannot return to campus earlier than January 1, but may move in later if their course does not start on January 2.
An optional meal plan is available for purchase to students who wish to dine on campus during Wintersession. The Sharpe Refectory dining hall will be open every day from 7:00 a.m. (10:30 a.m. on Sundays) to 7:30 p.m. starting on January 2. (Note: Holiday hours will be observed on January 15, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. The Sharpe Refectory will be open from 11:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.) All service and menu offerings provided during normal meal plan operations will be available. The cost of the full meal plan is $430; students may also elect to purchase meal plans at a weekly ($170/week) or daily ($42/day) rate. Alternately, access to single meal periods may be purchased at a walk-in rate of $10.95 for breakfast, $14.30 for lunch/brunch, and $16.75 for dinner.
To enroll in the Wintersession Meal Plan, please follow the steps below:
- Contact Lisa Sargent at 401.863.3343 or Lisa_Sargent@brown.edu
- Lisa will send a link to the enrollment form to your Brown Gmail account. Complete the form by 4:00 p.m. on December 16 for the plan to begin at the start of Wintersession on Tuesday, January 2.
- You will receive an email confirmation of your successful sign-up of the Wintersession Meal Plan within 3-5 business days.
Events and Activities
Check back soon to learn about more about what will be happening on campus during Wintersession 2018!
Community Engagement during Wintersession
The Swearer Center has made it possible for enrolled Wintersession students to engage with the local community while on campus in January. Stay tuned for more information about community engagement during Wintersession. A training session for volunteers will be required in December.
Students will continue to have access to the campus services available during the academic year, including:
- The Sharpe Refectory Dining Hall (M-Sa 7:00 a.m. - 7:30 p.m. & Su 10:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.)
- Blue Room (8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.)
- Ivy Lunch: 11:30 p.m. - 1:45 p.m. (open weekdays January 4 – January 23)
- Library - View library hours by location and week
Nelson Fitness Center and OMAC (M-F 5:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. & Weekends 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.; Holiday Hours on 1/16 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.)
- Wintersession Group Fitness Schedule(First class free, then $15 for unlimited classes in January)
Computing and Information Services (CIS) Helpdesk (M-F 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.)
- CIT Computing Lab (M-Th 7:30 a.m. - Midnight; Fridays 7:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.; Weekends 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.)
- Student and Employee Accessibility Services (SEAS)
- Health Services
- Counseling and Psychological Services
- Shuttle (Daytime Shuttle: Operates M-F when normal business operations are taking place; Evening Shuttle 5:00 p.m. - 1:00 a.m.)
- Facilities (assistance with housing issues, such as heating or broken furniture)
- SEE ALSO: What's Open, What's Closed