Students enrolled in Brown or RISD Wintersession* credit-bearing courses that meet on campus will be able to stay in the same Brown dorm room as they do during the regular academic year, at no additional cost. Students who live off-campus should budget their normal rent cost for the month of January and should plan to live in their regular housing; they are not eligible to live on campus during Wintersession. Students taking Brown Wintersession courses online will not have access to their dorm. Students should not anticipate a refund for housing.
Residence halls will reopen for Wintersession students on Tuesday, January 1. Students may contact the Department of Public Safety at 401-863-3322 for assistance with accessing their building in the event of a card malfunction. Students cannot return to campus earlier than January 1, but may move in later if their course does not start on January 2.
*Students intending to take a RISD Wintersession course cannot pre-register for these courses. They are advised to e-mail the RISD instructor in advance to express interest but should expect that they will need to attend the RISD course on the first day to see if a seat is available and seek permission from the instructor. Students will only be allowed in their Brown housing once their enrollment in a RISD course can be verified. Enrollment updates will be made daily on business days during the RISD Wintersession Drop/Add Period and students should expect a day lag between submitting their registration form to the Brown Registrar and having access to their campus housing. Any student who does not get into a course at RISD can go through the process of subletting in Grad Center.
In order to ensure that all participating students have equitable access to meals during Wintersession, all students enrolled in an on-campus or destination Wintersession course will be enrolled in a meal plan for the dates that they are on campus. Only students who are not enrolled in a meal plan during the regular semester will be able to opt-out of the Wintersession meal plan.
Events and Activities
Community Engagement during Wintersession
The Swearer Center encourages Wintersession students to log into BrownEngage and familiarize themselves with the platform and Swearer's partner organizations. Partners post engagement opportunities throughout the year; BrownEngage is a great way to learn about new opportunities!
Students will continue to have access to the campus services available during the academic year, including:
- The Verney-Woolley Dining Hall (January 2-18, 7:00 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.)
- Blue Room (8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.)
- Ivy Lunch: 11:30 p.m. - 1:45 p.m. (open weekdays January 4 – January 23)
- Library - View library hours by location and week
Nelson Fitness Center and OMAC (M-F 5:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. & Weekends 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.)
- Wintersession Group Fitness Schedule(First class free, then $15 for unlimited classes in January)
Computing and Information Services (CIS) Helpdesk (M-F 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.)
- CIT Computing Lab (M-Th 7:30 a.m. - Midnight; Fridays 7:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.; Weekends 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.)
- Student and Employee Accessibility Services (SEAS)
- Health Services
- Counseling and Psychological Services
- Shuttle (Daytime Shuttle: Operates M-F when normal business operations are taking place; Evening Shuttle 5:00 p.m. - 1:00 a.m.)
- Facilities (assistance with housing issues, such as heating or broken furniture)
- SEE ALSO: What's Open, What's Closed