Frequently Asked Questions

What does SEAS do?

SEAS provides services and reasonable accommodations to qualitifed Brown community members experiencing a phsyical, medical or psychological impairment, learning differences, or ADHD. Areas of support include (but are not limited to) academic, housing, dining, mobility, and parking concerns.

How do I register with SEAS?

To complete registration with SEAS, you will need to complete an Information & Release Form, submit documentation (see guidelines for what is needed) and meet with a professional SEAS staff member. Please see the menu section titled "Registering" for more information on this process.

I'm interested in a learning evaluation, but I'm concerned about cost. What do I do?

We understand that testing for a learning disorder and/or ADHD is expensive and the cost can serve as a barrier for many students. Please know that there are many financial resources are available to support students through this process. Our staff is always willing to meet with students to discuss these options, so please reach out!

I don't have access to documentation right now. Can I still utilize accommodations? 

Yes. While we do ultimately require that students submit some form of documentation to be officially registered with our office, we do our best to work with students for whom documentation is not readily accessible. In many instances students are able to submit documentation from on-campus resources, such as CAPS or Health Services.  In certain situations we can also approve students for accommodations on a provisional basis until they are able to secure the appropriate documentation.

Regardless of your situation, please do not let access to documentation deter you from connecting with our office. Our staff is always available to consult and explore a student's options.

I've never used accommodations before Brown. Am I still eligible to work with SEAS?

Yes! If you are unsure whether SEAS support would be appropriate given your situation, please reach out to us. Our staff is always available to consult, preferrably in person but over email/phone as needed.

How much do accommodations cost?

Accommodations are provided to students at no cost. That said, some services - such as tutoring, coaching, evaluations, etc. - go above and beyond accommodations. We are happy to meet with students interested in these types of services to recommend appropriate on-campus and/or local providers. 

Who will know I am registered with SEAS?

All disability-related information shared with SEAS is kept completely confidential. No one has access to a student's specific medical information outside of the SEAS staff without the student's consent. This includes faculty, university staff, and parties external to Brown (such as parents or potential employers). A student's status with SEAS will also never appear on their transcript. 

There are some limits to this confidentiality, including any time someone may be a threat to themselves or another person.

Where is the SEAS office located?

We are located at 20 Benevolent Street (across from Keeney Quad, next to the Brown Faculty Club) on the first floor.  Please use our main entrance located on the left side of our building. 

How do I register with the SEAS On Call Shuttle?

The SEAS on Call shuttle registration process can be initiated the first time you ride. Call 401-225-9572 to schedule a first ride directly. To register for the SEAS on Call shuttle, you will need to have documentation concerning your disability or injury including recommendations that support your need for the shuttle and confirm the and time frame in which you will need service.  Documentation may be faxed to us at (401) 863-1444.  You can call SEAS at  (401) 863-9588 to initiate registration as there are also forms that you will need to complete.

For more information about the SEAS On-call Shuttle, please use this link.

What if I need disability related housing accommodations?

If you require disability related housing accommodations, you will need to submit a Housing Accommdation Request. Time frames are crucial with this process to please contact us at [email protected] or 401-863-9588 as soon as you realize you may need one.

For more information about housing accommodations, please use this link.

I'm having an event. How do I plan to make it accessible for all?

The best way is to make sure that your event is in an accessible room and let potential attendees know how to reach you if they will need an accommodation, like an interpreter. Please visit the Scheduling Services web site  for additional information. You can also email [email protected] or call 401-863-9588 to ask questions about specific venues.

For more information about making events accessible, please use this link to the SEAS page.

How accessible is the Brown campus?

Brown is located on a hill and is very historic (quite old), but we are trying to make the campus more accessible with each passing year. We have an accessibility map available online. Paper copies can also be mailed to you. Send requests to [email protected] or call 401-863-9588.

What services does SEAS provide for faculty & staff?

SEAS provides accommodations in the workplace,  parking accommodations and SEAS shuttle services access for qualified employees. Employees should email [email protected] or call 401-863-9588 to schedule an appointment with Catherine Axe.

How do I apply for disability parking?

You will need to register with SEAS and complete a SEAS parking accommodation request forms. Your documentation must support your request. If you already have a valid state handicapped parking hang tag, a copy of that is usually sufficient. The state tag must be issued in the employee or student's name. Many transportation-related needs within the campus can be met by using the SEAS on Call Shuttle. For more information, email [email protected] or call 401-863-9588.

For more information about parking accommodations for students, please use this link.

How do I arrange to get a sign language interpreter for a departments event?

You may call the Interpreter Referral Service at 222-5300. Or you can contact SEAS and we can assist you in arranging services.  Please note that it sometimes takes a while to secure an interpreter, so please plan accordingly.

My grandparents are coming for commencement.  How do I get a wheelchair?

You can call us at (401) 863-9588 and we can provide you with contact information for places in the state who rent out wheelchairs. The Commencement Committee also has a page listing local providers of wheelchairs for rental.

How long does SEAS hold on to students documentation after they graduate?

 We hold on to documentation for 7 - 9 years and shred all information after that time frame.