I am an advanced graduate student and have completed all required courses for my graduate program; I am currently preparing for qualifying exams or working on my thesis/dissertation. Does the current DHS - SEVP Guidance apply to me?

Being registered for research/dissertation after the completion of required coursework is considered full-time student status, and students working on their thesis or dissertation are considered to be maintaining valid F-1 status. Students who need to re-enter the country at this stage in their program are advised to obtain from their graduate program a letter indicating their need to be in residence at Brown in order to make progress toward the completion of the degree.