The Medical College Admission Test is a standardized exam required by all Allopathic (M.D.) and Osteopathic (D.O.) medical schools, as well as some schools outside of the US.
- If you are beginning to plan your medical school application and MCAT study, consult the Applicants page. Attend the Applicant Seminars during the academic year leading to your application.
- You must have completed, and done well in, the required courses to study for and take the exam.
- Take the exam only when you are best prepared and no later than May of the year in which you apply to medical school. Test scores remain on your record permanently and are reported to all medical schools.
- The current exam format will be in use until January 2015. Explore the MCAT 2015 & Health Professions Personal Competencies page for information about the future MCAT format.
- MCAT test scores are typically accepted for 3-4 years (check medical school websites). Scores from the current exam format will remain valid after 2015.
*****NEW EXAM DATE (DECEMBER 6) ADDED ON OCTOBER 8! Some seats added to existing test dates******
Taking the MCAT to Apply in Summer 2014 for Fall 2015 Admission
Students and alumni who are well prepared and plan to apply to medical school in summer 2014 are advised to register for an exam date early. It is not unusual for test centers in certain parts of the country to be completely booked as early as 3-4 months in advance. All information about exam dates, times and locations are available on the MCAT website. If you are not in a strong position to prepare for the upcoming application cycle, we urge you to plan your approach with us and prepare for a future application cycle.
Taking the MCAT to Apply in Future Years
TEST REGISTRATION TIME-FRAMES
Registration will open in February for June 2014 through January 2015 testing dates. AMCAS have made two important changes for this registration opening. First, there will be a split registration opening and second, new dates have been added to the previously published schedule.
- The split opening will proceed based on the following schedule:
- Tuesday, February 11: registration will open for June - September 2014 administration dates
- Thursday, February 13: registration will open for October 2014 - January 2015 administration dates.
NEWLY-ADDED TEST DATES (2014- 2015)
AAMC have reviewed their projections for the testing year and have added the following test administration dates to the schedule:
- Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - am administration
- Saturday, October 25, 2014 - am administration
- Friday, November 7, 2014 - am administration
- Saturday, December 6, 2014 - pm administration
- Thursday, January 8, 2015 - am administration
- Saturday, January 10, 2015 - am administration
- Thursday, January 13, 2015 - am administration
- Thursday, January 15, 2015 - pm administration
- Friday, January 23, 2015 - am administration
MD SCHOOL POLICIES ON ACCEPTING THE CURRENT MCAT/MCAT 2015 IN FUTURE APPLICATION YEARS
This information is current as of its first publication in August 2014. NOTE: Two medical schools, Pennsylvania State University School of Medicine and NYU School of Medicine will accept scores from the current and future MCAT exam through the 2017 application cycle. The MSAR online will include updates in spring 2015.