NOTE: Those studying away domestically are not eligible to receive University Scholarship or any other institutional funding. The Tougaloo Exchange is the only exception to this policy. See below for requirements if you are interested in federal aid (primarily federal loans) that may also be available to eligible students.

The following requirements must be satisfied to be considered for any federal aid:

  • Notify the Office of Financial aid of your plans to study away.
  • All academic year financial aid application requirements for the term or terms you intend to study away should be satisfied.
  • Complete and submit the Consortium Agreement found in the Forms section of our website
  • Credits must be fully approved for transfer through Brown's ASK/Advising Sidekick system prior to any federal aid being processed.
  • You should process a Refund Request electronically through the Bursar’s Office website.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Will my federal loans be deferred during the term/year I am studying away?

A. Brown University will only report you as enrolled if you are approved for a full-time course load. In this case, your loans will be deferred while attending the host institution.  If you are enrolled/approved for anything other than full time, you may be required to start payments and/or use some or all of your grace period. Visit the Loan Office website for additional information.

Q. If applicable, when will I receive my refund?

A. Refunds are processed 7 to 10 days after the start date of your Study Away program. In order for your refund to be processed, all financial aid application materials must be submitted. Since the refunds will not be sent until 7-10 business days after the first day of classes, you should make plans to cover your expenses until your refund has arrived or contact your program and request that the bill due date be deferred until your refund is received. For questions regarding your Brown Student Account and/or the refund process, please contact the Bursar’s Office at [email protected] or (401) 863-2484.

Q. What happens to my work-study or campus employment award when I study away?

A. Work-Study, including Campus Employment, cannot be offered during any study away period. If you are interested in covering this unmet need with additional loan, complete the requirements listed above.

Q. What happens to my meal plan when I return to Brown?

A. Depending on the timing of your return from Study Away and when student accounts are generated for the upcoming semester at Brown, a student may find that he/she has not been billed for a meal plan. Dining Services assumes that students are no longer on the meal plan when they return to campus. Therefore, it is crucial that students inform Dining Services at (401) 863-3343 as soon as possible if they wish to participate in a meal plan when they return from their study away semester(s).

Q. When do I sign Promissory notes for my student loan?

A. A promissory note and entrance counseling for a first-time Federal Direct Loan and/or a 20th Century Loan should be completed with the Brown University Loan Office before leaving for your study away program. The Loan Office will send the student an email notifying them of loan requirements along with instructions on how to complete the requirements. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that the requirements are completed and received by the Loan Office before departure. For questions, please contact the Loan Office at [email protected] or at (401) 863-3296.