At Brown University, undergraduate students receiving financial aid may apply for assistance in meeting the cost of studying at another institution during the academic year. This includes study away at a Brown Sponsored, an Approved Alternative, or Petition Alternative program sponsored by another institution.

If you are planning to study away during the fall semester or for the full academic year, your financial aid for both the fall and spring semester is typically determined at the same time. In addition to the standard financial aid application required of all returning students, you will need to submit addititional application materials for your study away program. Please review the attached instructions and application materials or call or e-mail the Office of Financial Aid if you have any remaining questions.

If you are planning to study away only during the spring semester, you should plan to submit your study away application materials for study away by mid November. In addition, while you are studying away in Spring you will need to complete your Financial Aid Renewal Application for the following academic year by the established deadlines. Students who are abroad are NOT exempt from complying with application deadlines and requirements. Application materials will be available on our website in early January. You must submit these forms by the deadline in early May to ensure eligibility for Brown Scholarship for the following semester.

Frequently asked Study Away Questions are available on our website.