Once you are accepted to a study abroad program, you should start making preparations for your life overseas. The OIP advises you to use a variety of resources to research your destination and determine what you need to do before departure. We encourage you to utilize a variety of resources, including the following:
- OIP website
- Spring 2022 General Predeparture Session presentation
- Spring 2022 "Take it With You" Handbook
- Fall 2021 General Predeparture Session presentation
- Program-specific materials
- Travel guides, websites, and news resources for your destination
- OIP Peer Advisors and other program returnees
- Faculty advisor/concentration department(s)
- Healthcare and insurance providers
- OIP staff and advisors
- Relevant Brown offices (such as Financial Aid, Bursar, Residential Life, Registrar)
- Bank and ATM/credit card companies
These are a few of the resources that can assist you with learning more about your destination country, as well as provide you with general information on travel, health, safety, finances, academic policies, diversity considerations, cultural adjustment, packing, and more. You will greatly enhance your experience abroad by becoming well-prepared before you depart.
The OIP also holds a general, mandatory predeparture orientation each semester for all students going abroad. In addition to this orientation, program-specific predeparture meetings are held for students attending Brown/CASA programs. Brown students attending Alternative or Petition programs should check with their provider directly about any predeparture program meetings.