Bursar Office - Student Financial Services

The Bursar Office is responsible for billing and collection of tuition, fees, and other charges on the student account.

Due to the recent University guidelines, the Bursar Office is temporarily working from an off-site location. For immediate assistance, please send a detailed email to [email protected]. Be sure to include your student's Banner ID and full name.


A prorated credit for room and meals for students who moved off campus due to COVID-19 in Spring 2020 will be applied to student accounts no later than Monday, April 6.

Each prorated credit is based on the following:

●      a student’s individual room and meal charges;
●      50% remaining in the spring semester; and
●      for aided students, a prorated calculation based on individual parent contribution to the standard annual cost of attendance ($77,590).

The policy for credits has been established under Brown’s shifted operations for housing and dining, as outlined on the University’s COVID-19 website.

For students (or authorized users) enrolled in the spring 2020 Installment Payment Plan (IPP), a reduction will be made to the final payment that will be drafted from the designated bank account on April 10, 2020.

In addition, a 50% credit for the spring 2020 recreation fee will be applied to each student's account by Friday, April 24, 2020.

For students with a balance due on your student account prior to this credit, the credit will be applied toward that balance due. 

If this room and board adjustment creates a credit balance on your student account, the student account credit balance will be applied to the next semester’s charges.


Manage your Student Account online! Visit https://payment.brown.edu to review your balance, make payment, setup eRefund, give access to authorized users, and enroll in installment payment plans. 

Quick Links:

Access payment.brown.edu  Student Account Electronic Refunds 
Electronic Billing (eBill) Information Tuition & Fees
Installment Payment Plan
Tuition Leave Refund Policy
Tuition Refund Insurance Plan


There are several financing options that Brown families may consider to best meet their individual financing needs.  This interactive planner has been created to help families estimate their student account and identify resources to pay for their educational expenses.

Brown Email: The University, including the Bursar Office, uses email as the official form of communication.  The Bursar Office sends official and important messages to the student's Brown email account and it is expected that students read them.  

Mailing a payment: If you choose to mail a check payment, it must be sent to the Cashier Office, Box 1911. Do not send payments directly to the Bursar Office. 

Returning from study abroad? Review this important information about housing and dining charges

Bookstore Purchases: Students may charge purchases  to the students account.

Bear Bucks Account:  A convenient method of making University purchases.

Tuition Refund Plan: A program that minimizes  the financial portion of losses incurred when a student suffers a serious illness or injury and has to leave Brown before the semester is completed.Tuition Refund Insurance is available through Grad Guard to all Brown University students on an optional basis.  This private insurance program provides a refund for tuition, fees and room/board charges up to the purchased policy limited if a student is unable to complete a semester due to a covered medical reason. For more information and to enroll, visit www.gradguard.com/brown or call 1.866.724.4384.

Auxiliary Housing: Students residing in Brown owned apartments are billed on  their student account.

Office of International Programs (OIP):  All study abroad undertaken by Brown undergraduates for credit toward their Brown degree are coordinated by OIP.

Title IV Authorization:  Students receiving federal awards are required to complete a Title IV authorization.  The authorization provides instructions to the University on how to apply excess Title IV funds from the student's account.  Your authorized also instructs the University on refunding over-payments or on holding funds on the account for a future date.  The Title IV Authorization can be found in selfservice.brown.edu under the students Financial Aid Requirements.