Registration is Now Open for Certificate Programs
Registration opens July 1st for the following Sheridan Center Teaching Certificate Programs:
Certificate I - Sheridan Teaching Seminar: Reflective Teaching - Teaching practices, assessment strategies and communication skills based on how students learn.
Certificate II* - Course Design Seminar: Principles + Practice - Course design, teaching and assessment strategies applied to a model course (limited enrollment).
Certificate III* - Professional Development Seminar - Teaching portfolios, cover letters, CVs, presentation skills, and interview practice for the academic job market (limited enrollment).
Certificate IV* - Teaching Consultant Program - Peer observation and feedback, leadership skills, and discussion facilitation (limited enrollment).
* Certificate I is a prerequisite for these programs.
New TA Orientation to Teaching at Brown
Tues, Sept 8, 9am-12pm
Register here by August 24th (note the program may fill before the registration deadline).
New Faculty Orientation to Teaching at Brown
Thurs, Sept 3, 9-11:30am
Register here for the Fall 2015 New Faculty Orientation.
New Faculty Orientation Workshop: Teaching for the First Time
Thurs, Sept 3, 12:30-1:30pm
Lunch will be served. RSVP here to reserve a place at this workshop.
New Faculty Orientation Workshop: Interactive Classrooms
Tues, Sept 8, 2-3pm
RSVP here to reserve a place at this workshop.
The Sheridan Center's Laboratory for Educational Innovation fosters innovative approaches to enhancing teaching and learning at Brown through digital technologies and new media. Visit the Laboratory's new website to learn more about our work and to read about some of our recent projects.
The Sheridan Center is a place where faculty, graduate students and postdocs come together from across the disciplines to inquire about, explore and reflect upon teaching and learning as ongoing and collaborative processes. Our programs, services and resources are available to all members of the Brown community, including full-time and part-time faculty, postdoctoral fellows, teaching fellows and teaching assistants.
The Sheridan Center is here to support you.
- We are Brown’s go-to-place for practical advice about teaching and professional development.
- We promote best practices and promising new practices in teaching.
- We support instructors as they launch and develop their professional careers.
- Programs on Teaching – orientations, workshops and lectures
- Course Development Grants – support to develop experimental modules or new courses that pursue creative approaches to teaching and learning
- Certificate Programs – five year-long certificate programs on teaching practice and preparation for professional careers
- Confidential Consulting Services – course and syllabus consultations, classroom observations, student evaluation consultations, practice teaching sessions, Presentation Consultations
- Support for Research – effective presentations, educational components of grants, program evaluations, scholarship on teaching & learning
- Career Planning – programs and resources to help launch and develop professional careers
- Teaching & Learning Resources – publications and online resources addressing a wide range of topics
- Community – programs and initiatives bringing together faculty, graduate students and postdocs from across the disciplines