The Center offers orientations to teaching at Brown for all new instructors. Faculty and postdocs are welcome to attend the Center’s orientation for new faculty. Graduate students should attend the orientation for New TAs.
New Faculty Orientation to Teaching at Brown
In conjunction with the Office of the Dean of the Faculty, the Center offers a New Faculty Orientation to Teaching at Brown before the start of classes each semester. The fall orientation features:
- an overview of teaching at Brown by the Dean of the College
- conversations about university teaching resources with campus representatives
- panels providing student and faculty perspectives on teaching and learning at Brown
- the opportunity for small-group, division-based discussions
- workshops on inclusive teaching facilitated by Brown faculty and staff.
The mid-year new instructor orientation, typically held in January, features an overview of teaching at Brown. New instructors have the opportunity to ask questions and engage in conversation in an informal setting. Please see Sheridan's events page for more details.
In conjunction with these orientations, the Center offers a certificate and workshop series addressing instructional strategies. See our events page for this year’s dates and topics.
New TA Orientation to Teaching at Brown
In conjunction with the Graduate School, the Sheridan Center offers an orientation for first-time Teaching Assistants. Designed to complement departmental TA training, the orientation features:
- an introduction to TA’ing at Brown by the Dean of the Graduate School
- a panel discussion with experienced TAs
- hands-on, interactive workshops on inclusive teaching for the first days of class
- breakout sessions on writing, problem-solving, and grading
In conjunction with these orientations, the Center offers a certificate and workshop series addressing instructional strategies and preparing for the academic job market. See our events page for this year’s dates and topics.