The Center offers orientations to teaching at Brown for all new instructors. Faculty and postdocs are welcome to attend the Center’s orientation for new faculty. Graduate students should attend the workshops for new TAs listed below.
New Faculty Orientation to Teaching at Brown
In conjunction with the Office of the Dean of the Faculty, the Center offers a New Faculty Orientation to Teaching at Brown before the start of classes each semester. The fall orientation features:
- an overview of teaching at Brown by the Dean of the College
- conversations about university teaching resources with campus representatives
- panels providing student and faculty perspectives on teaching and learning at Brown
- the opportunity for small-group, division-based discussions
- workshops on inclusive teaching facilitated by Brown faculty and staff.
Faculty and postdoctoral scholars who are unable to attend the fall orientation also have the opportunity to attend a lunch workshop on Preparing for the First Days of Class, offered in September and January. New instructors have the opportunity to ask questions and engage in conversation in an informal setting. The Fall 2019 New Faculty Orientation will be held on Thursday, August 22, 2019. Please contact [email protected] for more details.
Workshops for New Graduate TAs
In conjunction with the Graduate School, the Sheridan Center offers a series of hands-on workshops for first-time Graduate Teaching Assistants. Designed to complement departmental TA training, these workshops are offered multiple times during the Fall semester on the following topics:
Preparing for the First Days of Class
Facilitated by Sheridan Head Teaching Consultants, this workshop explores inclusive teaching techniques, ways to generate student enthusiasm for the subject matter, and strategies for increasing confidence in the classroom. This workshop will be offered on the following dates at the Sheridan Center (SciLi 720):
- August 26, 2019; 1-2 pm (open to all graduate students)
- August 27, 2019; 2-3 pm (open to all graduate students)
- August 29, 2019; 2-3 pm (open to graduate students in STEM fields)
- August 30, 2019; 1-2 pm (open to graduate students in the Humanities or Social Sciences)
Registration is required for all Sheridan workshops. Bookmark this page--Registration opens in August!
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant Orientation
Saturday, February 1
Not sure what to do to create an inviting learning environment? Are you interested in learning more about how to work with students? Through interactive activities, this orientation will cover professionalism, creating inclusive learning environments, effective teaching strategies, and best practices for continual improvement as a UTA. Breakfast will be served from 9:30-10:00 and registration is required. It is necessary for UTAs to discuss attendance to the orientation with instructors to inform them that departments will need to compensate their UTAs for 2.5 hours of training, at the hourly rate.