The Rhonda K. Simper-Ronan Graduate Award in Cancer Research
The Pathobiology Graduate Program established the ‘Rhonda K. Simper-Ronan Graduate Award in Cancer Research’ in 2008 to commemorate the commitment to research excellence and perseverance of one of our graduates, Rhonda Simper-Ronan, PhD (class of 2007). The award is given annually to a current Pathobiology graduate student whose dedication to research and accomplishments honors the memory of Dr. Simper-Ronan. The award is presented at the graduate program’s retreat to the student:
- whose research is relevant to cancer,
- who contributes to the graduate program, and
- whose inspirational accomplishments have distinguished and set them apart from their peers.
Rhonda K. Simper-Ronan, Ph.D. Award Recipients
- 2008: Bonnie Lau, M.D., Ph.D.
- 2009: Michele Avissar-Whiting, Ph.D.
- 2010: Pamela Gaddi, Ph.D.
- 2011: Ashley Smith, Ph.D.
- 2012: William Accomando, Ph.D.
- 2013: Jennifer Ribeiro, Ph.D.
- 2016: Susan Leggett, Ph.D.
- 2020: Liz Hernández Borrero, Ph.D.
- 2021: Dennis Bonal
Charles "Chick" Kuhn Graduate Award in Disease Pathogenesis
The "Charles 'Chick' Kuhn Graduate Award in Disease Pathogenesis" was established in 2002 to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the Pathobiology Graduate Program and to honor Charles Kuhn III, M.D.
An internationally recognized lung pathologist, Dr. Kuhn co-founded the Brown Pathobiology Graduate Program in 1992 with Kim Boekelheide, M.D., Ph.D. in the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine.
The Kuhn Award is presented annually to the best graduate student presentation on mechanisms of disease.
Charles "Chick" Kuhn Graduate Award Recipients
- 2002: Rachelle Solomon, Ph.D.
- 2003: Nikia Laurie, Ph.D.
- 2004: Stanimir Ivanov, Ph.D.
- 2005: Ana-Marie Dragoi, Ph.D.
- 2006: Aisling Dugan, Ph.D.
- 2007: Douglas Wilson, Ph.D.
- 2008: Meredith Crane, Ph.D.
- 2009: Benjamin Moyer, Ph.D. and Alex Valm, Ph.D.
- 2010: Chathuraka Jayasuriya, Ph.D.
- 2011: Nicholas Heger, Ph.D.
- 2012: Matthew Hirakawa, Ph.D.
- 2013: Angel Byrd, M.D., Ph.D.
- 2014: Margarite Tarrio, Ph.D.
- 2015: Adeola Adebayo, Ph.D.
- 2016: Yun Gao, M.D., Ph.D.
- 2017: Courtney Anderson, Ph.D.
- 2018: Jocelyn Newton, Ph.D.
- 2019: Jenna Wurster
- 2020: Shen-Huan Liang, Ph.D.
- 2021: Layra Cintrón-Rivera