Building the Revolution
- Franco, Victor. The Morning After (1963)
- Miller, Warren. 90 Miles from Home (1961)
- Sartre, Jean-Paul. Sartre on Cuba (1961)
- Wollaston, Nicholas. Red Rumba (1964)
Hulme, Peter. “Seeing for Themselves: U.S. Travel Writers in Early Revolutionary Cuba,” in Politics, Identity, and Mobility in Travel Writing. Ed. Miguel A. Cabañas, Jeanne Dubino, Veronica Salles-Reese, Gary Totten. London: Routledge, 2015.
African Americans and Revolutionary (Dis)identification
- Baraka, Amiri. “Cuba Libre.” Evergreen Review (Nov.-Dec. 1960).
- Clytus, John. Black Man in Red Cuba (1970)
- Spence Benson, Devyn. “Cuba Calls: African American Tourism, Race, and the Cuban Revolution, 1959-1961,” Hispanic American Historical Review 93, no. 2 (2013): 239-271.
- Tyson, Timothy B. Radio Free Dixie: Robert F. Williams and the Roots of Black Power. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2001.
New Left Allegiances
- Levinson, Sandra. Venceremos Brigade (1971)
- Scott, Jack. Second Look at Cuba (1963)
- Sutherland, Elizabeth. The Youngest Revolution (1969)
- Yglesias, José. In the Fist of the Revolution (1968)
Gosse, Van. Where the Boys Are: Cuba, Cold War America and the Making of a New Left. New York: Verso, 1993.
Latin American & Caribbean Visitors
- Almeida, Dirck de. Uma brasileira em Havana (1963)
- Cardenal, Ernesto. In Cuba (1972)
- Salkey, Andrew. Havana Journal (1971)
Wright, Thomas C. Latin America in the Era of the Cuban Revolution. New York: Praeger, 2000