- By affirmatively answering a request from us on our umbrella social media channels or otherwise indicating your agreement for Brown University to use your Content, you agree to permit Brown University to use your Content (defined below) and to be bound by these Terms.
You must read before proceeding. If you do not agree with these terms, Brown University will not share your Content.
- In these Terms, “Content” refers to the photo and/or video, including any sound and accompanying text posted through your account on social media, accompanying metadata such as time and place of creation, your user name, and links to your social media profile.
Grant of Rights
- You grant Brown University a right to use and display your Content, in any media, worldwide, for any lawful purpose, in original or edited form, including on Brown University’s social media accounts, websites, blogs, digital displays, in Brown University’s advertising and marketing, and generally in the promotion of Brown University or its products or services. Such rights also extend to Brown University’s subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, employees, representatives, assigns, licensees, and anyone else acting on behalf of Brown University.
- The rights that you grant to Brown University to use your Content are perpetual and irrevocable, and you may not cancel or withdraw your permission for Brown University to use your Content. However, this does not affect your or any other person’s rights in relation to personal data as referred to below.
- The rights you grant to Brown University are non-exclusive, and you retain all rights you have in or to the Content.
- Brown University will not pay any royalties or compensation to you or any third party for use of the Content. Use is at Brown University’s discretion, and Brown University is not obliged to use your Content in any particular way or at all.
- You agree that you do and will not have any right to review, approve, or object to Brown University’s use of your Content or caption copy. You further agree that you do and will not have any right to review, approve, or object to Brown University identifying you as the author, creator, or source of the Content in the manner Brown determines within Brown’s discretion.
Representations and Warranties
Brown University respects applicable laws and the rights of others. By agreeing to these Terms you represent and warrant to Brown University that
- the Content is your original work and you own it and all intellectual property rights in it and have all necessary rights to grant Brown University the rights set out in these Terms (including in relation to copyrights, trademarks, private or public buildings, performances, sounds, and music) or, if you are not the owner of all such rights, you have already obtained permission from the owner of the respective rights for the use described in these Terms, and will inform us if such permission is withdrawn or materially changed at any time;
- Brown University’s use of your Content will not infringe intellectual property, privacy, image, performance, or publicity rights, or any other rights of any third party, will not require Brown to provide payment to you or to any third party, and will not breach any applicable laws;
- nothing in your Content is or will be illegal, defamatory, obscene, or threatening to any third party; and
- you are over 18 years of age and have the right to agree to these Terms.
- You will hold Brown University harmless and indemnify Brown University against any actions, loss, and damage arising out of any claims by third parties in connection with the Content, including for breach of intellectual property, data protection, privacy, image, performance, or publicity rights
- The Content may contain information about you or identifiable individuals that constitutes personal data under applicable laws. By agreeing to these Terms, you consent to the processing of such personal data by Brown University for the purposes set out in these Terms.
- Where any personal data relating to any other person appears in the Content, you warrant that you have obtained their consent for processing of such personal data.