Brown University shieldBrown University

Insurance Requirements for Use of Facilities for Events

Please see Insurance Requirements for Non-Brown Events.

Insurance may also be required for University events:

  • Held at Brown and are co-sponsored with another organization
  • Bring vendors or performers to campus

If you are providing your own general liability insurance:

The acceptable form of this documentation is a certificate of insurance showing evidence of general liability insurance to cover the event and use of University facilities. The certificate of insurance must provide a minimum of $1 million in coverage limits and include Brown University as the certificate holder and as an additional named insured for the event and use of facilities.

The certificate of insurance should be sent, two weeks prior to the event, to [email protected]. 

Certificate holder information:
Brown University
Insurance Office
Campus Box 1848
Providence, RI 02912

For any event where liquor is served by someone other than Brown University Dining Services, a certificate of insurance showing evidence of liquor liability coverage must also be provided.

If you need to purchase general liability insurance:

One option you have is to use to purchase your event coverage. If you have questions or need help with the application you can contact Sandra Zumbado at 310-216-9152 or [email protected].

As another option, Brown is enrolled in the URMIA (University Risk Management Insurance Association) TULIP Program (Tenant and User Liability Insurance Policy.) You have the ability to obtain a quote from this plan or secure a policy independently.

Click here to apply or obtain a "Quick Quote," or click here to read the Special Events Brochure.

TULIP was designed to provide low cost general liability insurance to users of University facilities through an on-line purchasing process.

Information about TULIP and its rates is available by visiting

Note: The requirement listed above is not intended for University sponsored (hosted) activities. However, events that are co-sponsored or that present an unusual or high risk are special circumstances and need to be coordinated with Strategic Purchasing, Contracts & Insurance - [email protected].

For additional information regarding planning an event at Brown, please visit the Event Planning Website.

Department of Public Safety Staffing Policy for Campus Events