Brown University shieldBrown University

Student Property Insurance Information

It is important for students to protect their personal property (stereos, cameras, calculators, personal computers, books and furniture). It is recommended that students have personal property insurance as the University does not provide insurance coverage for these items.

There are several options for obtaining personal property insurance. Some students may have coverage under their family's homeowner's or renter's insurance. This can be confirmed by contacting your family's insurance agent. It is also possible to purchase insurance for student owned property. Three companies that offer this type of insurance coverage are listed below. All of these companies offer coverage for students living on-campus and for those renting apartments off campus.

Gallagher Student Health Personal Property

CSI Insurance Agency, Inc

National Student Services, Inc.

Students are advised to be pro-active in order to reduce the frustration and inconvenience resulting either from theft or from damage caused by unanticipated accidents. For computers, the best way to minimize the disruption is to maintain regular backups of critical data. These backups should not be kept in the same location as the computer. A loss due to a water leak, for example, could potentially damage both the computer and the backup. Students should keep an inventory of their property, complete with serial numbers, as a way to prove ownership in the event they need to file a claim with an insurance company.

For additional safety tips, visit the Department of Public Safety website.