Cancellation & Forgiveness

You must repay your loans even if you don’t complete your education, can’t find a job related to your program of study, or are unhappy with the education you paid for with your loan.  However, certain circumstances might lead to your loans being forgiven, canceled, or discharged.

Application Process & Important Tips

Borrowers must contact their loan servicer to apply for any of the cancellation or forgiveness options.(A servicer is the organization/entity responsible for collecting payments and managing the loan during repayment.)

  • Cancellation/forgiveness is not automatic; borrowers must submit a completed application to their servicer.
  • The servicer will determine eligibility and notify the borrower once the request has been processed.
  • The borrower is responsible to continue making regular monthly payments until the request has been processed.

Direct Subsidized, Unsubsidized, or PLUS Loans:

Your federal loan servicer will provide details and forms needed to complete the application process for loan cancellation or forgiveness

Federal Perkins or Institutional Loans only:

Brown University Student Financial Services will handle your requests.  You will need to complete the appropriate application form (below) and return the original form to Student Financial Services for processing.  NOTE:  Submitted forms must be original, fax copies are not accepted.

Perkins Loan Cancellation Chart
Cancellation and Pre-Cancellation for Perkins Loans
Teacher Cancellation and Pre-Cancellation for Perkins Loans
Total & Permanent Disability for Perkins Loans
Total & Permanent Disability for Institutional Loans
Urban Education Loan Cancellation