The Diversity and Inclusion Oversight Board (DIOB) will serve to strengthen and streamline oversight of diversity and inclusion initiatives. This includes:
- Conducting an annual review of the progress of departments and schools on their departmental diversity and inclusion action plans. The DIOB will meet annually with the Dean of the Faculty, the Dean of the Division of Biology and Medicine, and the Dean of the School of Public Health to review departmental progress on departmental diversity and inclusion action plans (DDIAPs).
- Establishing and adhering to a schedule for regular review of diversity and inclusion plans for non-academic units.
- Reviewing survey data and studies on diversity and inclusion at Brown and making recommendations to the Provost on changes or additions to data collection efforts.
- Preparing the annual report on the DIAP in consultation with relevant bodies.
- Communicating, through written materials and forums on DIAP progress.
The membership of the DIOB will be structured to ensure collaboration across groups. It will be co-chaired by the Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion and one of the faculty committee members. Its membership will include:
- The Chair of CFED (Committee on Faculty Equity and Diversity)
- The Vice President for Campus Life and Student Services
- One faculty member from each of the following units: (1) the Division of Biology and Medicine, (2) the Physical Sciences and Engineering, (3) Social Sciences, (4) Humanities and the Arts, and (5) Public Health
- Five students (two undergraduates, one Ph.D. student, one Master’s student, and one medical student)
- Five staff members, including a representative from the Staff Advisory Council
- Five ex officio (non-voting) members, three of whom are the administrators in charge of diversity for the Graduate School, the Medical School, and the College, as well as the Vice President for Human Resources and a delegate from the Office of the Provost
Two paid student research assistants will staff the committee.
The full committee includes:
Vice President for Academic Development, Diversity and Inclusion
- Liza Cariaga-Lo (co-chair) — Vice President for Academic Development, Diversity and Inclusion
Chair of CFED
- Marc Tatar — Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Vice President for Campus Life and Student Services
- Eric Estes — Vice President for Campus Life and Student Services
- Radhika Rajan ’15 MD’19
- Rama Srinivasan PhD (Anthropology)
- Michael Murphy PhD (Sociology)
- Liliana Sampedro ’18
- Isabella Kres-Nash ’18
- Sohum Chokshi ’18
- Anthony Mam — Coordinator, First-Year and Sophomore Programs at the Brown Center for Students of Color
- Christine Frost — Senior Principal Gifts Officer in the Division of Advancement
- Caitlin Murphy — Program Outreach & Executive Assistant at the Center for the Study of Race and Ethnicity in America
- Meredith Scarlata — Associate Athletic Director for Finance in Athletics & Physical Education
- Carleia Leighty — Director, Transportation and Card Services in Financial & Administrative Services
- Matt Guterl (Co-chair) — Professor of Africana Studies and American Studies, Chair of American Studies
- Alison Field — Director of Population Health and Clinical Epidemiology, Professor of Epidemiology, Chair of Epidemiology, Professor of Pediatrics
- Chris Rose — Professor of Engineering, Associate Dean of the Faculty for Special Initiatives
- Wendy Schiller — Professor Political Science, Professor of International and Public Affairs, Chair of Political Science
- Shankar Prasad — Assistant Provostfor Global Engagement and Strategic Initiatives
- Marguerite Joutz — Assistant to the President for Student Affairs and Special Projects
- Maitrayee Bhattacharyya — Associate Dean for Diversity Programs
- Marlina Duncan — Associate Dean for the Graduate School
- Joe Diaz — Associate Professor of Medicine, Associate Professor of Medical Science
- Lynn Hernandez — Director of University Inclusion Programs, Assistant Professor of Behavioral and Social Sciences (Research), Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Human Behavior (Research)
- Katherine Tracy Barnes — Director Of Institutional Research
- Karen Davis — Vice President for Human Resources