The Diversity and Inclusion Oversight Board (DIOB) will serve to strengthen and streamline oversight of diversity and inclusion initiatives. This includes:
- Conducting an annual review of the progress of departments and schools on their departmental diversity and inclusion action plans. The DIOB will meet annually with the Dean of the Faculty, the Dean of the Division of Biology and Medicine, and the Dean of the School of Public Health to review departmental progress on departmental diversity and inclusion action plans (DDIAPs).
- Establishing and adhering to a schedule for regular review of diversity and inclusion plans for non-academic units.
- Reviewing survey data and studies on diversity and inclusion at Brown and making recommendations to the Provost on changes or additions to data collection efforts.
- Preparing the annual report on the DIAP in consultation with relevant bodies.
- Communicating, through written materials and forums on DIAP progress.
The membership of the DIOB will be structured to ensure collaboration across groups. It will be co-chaired by the Vice President for Equity and Diversity and one of the faculty committee members. Its membership will include:
- The Chair of CFED (Committee on Faculty Equity and Diversity)
- The Vice President for Campus Life and Student Services
- One faculty member from each of the following units: (1) the Division of Biology and Medicine, (2) the Physical Sciences and Engineering, (3) Social Sciences, (4) Humanities and the Arts, and (5) Public Health
- Five students (two undergraduates, one Ph.D. student, one Master’s student, and one medical student)
- Five staff members, including a representative from the Staff Advisory Council
- Five ex officio (non-voting) members, three of whom are the administrators in charge of diversity for the Graduate School, the Medical School, and the College, as well as the Vice President for Human Resources and a delegate from the Office of the Provost
2017 - 2018 Board Members
Matthew Guterl, Professor of Africana Studies, American Studies and Chair of American Studies (Chair)
Alison Field, Public Health - Epidemiology
Melvin Rogers, Political Science
Christopher Rose, Associate Dean of the Faculty and Engineering
Marc Tatar, Biology
Carleia Lighty, Transportation and Brown Card Services
Caitlin Murphy, Center for the Study of Race & Ethnicity in America
Meredith Scarlata, Athletics and Physical Education
George Barboza, Jr., Dining Services
Holly Tran, Molecular, Microbiology and Immunology
Isabella Kres-Nash (Undergraduate)
Amanda Boston (PhD)
Radhika Rajan (Medical)
Shontay Delalue, Institutional Equity and Diversity
Lynn Hernandez, Institutional Equity and Diversity
Shankar Prasad, Global Engagement and Strategic Initiatives - Staffing