International Travel Information

Before you travel internationally, you are encouraged to familiarize yourself with the following information:

  • International SOS: The University has contracted with International SOS to provide Brown University travelers with 24 hour worldwide medical and travel assistance, including emergency evacuation. Please register your trip information on the My Trips link.

You may need to enter Brown University’s International SOS membership number to enter the site. The membership number is 11BSGC000031.

Registering your trip on the My Trips link enables International SOS and Brown to better assist you in the event of an emergency such as a natural disaster, security event or to reach you regarding an emergency back home. Brown University Travelers who use FCm Travel solutions, the University's preferred travel agency, to book their travel will have their trip automatically registered with ISOS. 

Through the International SOS website, you can sign up to receive country specific travel, health, safety, and security information. The International SOS program has been enhanced to include accident and sickness insurance, and it does include coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation along with other valuable and relevant information related to health and security.

International SOS wallet cards can be printed from the International SOS portal.

You are also encouraged to read the country specific information provided by the US State Department

If you are faced with the need to obtain medical care outside of the United States, be sure to communicate with International SOS. They will guide you to a medical provider within the plan so you will not incur any out of pocket expenses such as copays or deductibles.


Any student who is planning to travel abroad, including students engaging in personal activities abroad which do not involve Brown sponsored academic study or research, please click here.

Travel Management Policies:

Information regarding travel expense policies can be found on the Controller’s Office website. Travelers wishing to be reimbursed using federal funds are reminded to comply with the Fly America Act and the requirement to use US Flag Carriers. Questions about this requirement can be addressed by the Office of Sponsored Projects. (401-863-2777).