We are delighted about your interest in a postdoc position within the Division of Biology and Medicine at Brown University. At Brown you will do cutting-edge research in well-equipped research facilities and be mentored by world-class faulty. Feel free to review our Postdoc Handbook to learn more.
Diversity within BioMed
Individuals from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups as well as individuals with disabilities are always encouraged to apply to postdoctoral positions within the Division of Biology and Medicine. The Office of Student Veterans and Commissioning Programs seeks to provide student veterans and current or prospective officer commissioning program participants with the tools and resources needed to succeed at Brown.
Research at Brown
Departments with Postdocs
- Ecology & Evolutionary Biology (See also ECI Postdocs)
- Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, & Biochemistry
- Molecular Microbiology & Immunology
- Molecular Pharmacology, Physiology & Biotechnology
- Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
- Psychiatry and Human Behavior
Postdoc Open Searches
- Postdoc positions at Brown University and affiliated hospitals
- Postdoc positions available outside Brown University
The Division of Biology & Medicine offers two classifications of postdocs:
- Postdoctoral Research Associates are employees of the University: they receive a salary and all employee benefits for which they are eligible, and the research grants or other Brown University funds which support them are assessed accordingly. Individuals are appointed on an annual basis, for a maximum term of five years.
- Postdoctoral Research Fellows are in residence to conduct research supported by fellowships or training grants; they are paid stipends. Postdoc Research Fellows are not Brown employees, but they may participate in a University health and dental plan. Individuals are appointed on an annual basis, for a maximum term of five years.
More information on differences between the two titles can be found at the Postdocs at Brown site.
According to the Provost Handbook of Academic Administration, Section 4.7.3 (July 2015), postdoc appointments must meet the following criteria:
- Be hired for at least 12 months
- Hold a PhD or equivalent degree
- Have fewer than 5 years postdoc experience
- Be paid through Brown University or external funding.