To qualify for OCFWS, students must have a Federal Work-Study award included in their financial aid package for the qualifying academic year. Students must be able to commit at least 6-8 hours per week to their OCFWS employment opportunity. Before applying for OCFWS, be sure to check your award to ensure that you are eligible. Students with a “Campus Employment” award are not eligible to participate. Read these instructions to check if you’re eligible for Off-Campus Federal Work Study.
All on and off-campus jobs require an I-9 form to be completed for tax purposes. Students interested in participating in the OCFWS program must complete an I-9 process through Brown University; once you complete this process, you do not need to do it again, though you can update your address and other information on Workday as needed. Read our student payment reference document for detailed instructions on how to complete the I-9 form and identity verification process.
Eligible students interested in OCFWS:
- must work with one of the qualifying OCFWS partner organizations.
- must have an I-9 on file with Brown’s Business Office.
- must be enrolled in Brown University for the qualifying semester. Students taking a leave of absence during the fall semester are not eligible to participate.
- are required to log hours into Workday in order to receive payment for completed hours.
- are not able to use more than one OCFWS placement site for employment.
The 2023-2024 academic year OCFWS program is no longer accepting applications as all funding has been awarded.
Please check back at a later time for more information about how to apply for the OCFWS summer program.