S4 provides consulting services for a wide range of applications of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and spatial analysis to the Brown community. S4 staff members are available to meet with faculty and students to assist with project development at any stage. S4 can help identify spatial needs, assist with research design and grant proposal writing, and consult on execution/operational concerns. S4 provides technical consulting in the following areas:
- Mapping, Cartography and spatial data visualization
- Spatial data identification, collection, wrangling & management
- Interactive web-based mapping & related services
- Basic & advanced features of the suite of Esri software (e.g., ArcGIS, ArcGIS online, ArcGIS Server )
- Basic & advanced features of open-source GIS software (e.g., GeoDa, QGIS)
- Scripting for spatial analysis in Python & R
- Development of research-oriented spatial analysis tools
- Applied spatial statistics, geocomputation and simulation
- Spatial database design,
- Remote sensing and satellite image analysis
S4 consulting is at no charge and is offered on a staff-available basis. Please contact Dr. Guixing Wei (guixing_wei @brown.edu) for further information. For large or long-term projects researchers are encouraged to discuss their needs with the S4 Director, Prof. Michael White.
On the left-side panel, S4 presents some tutorials, datasets & information about GIS software that may be of use to you. The Tutorials Resources tab will take you to a series of self-paced exercises in GIS. The users will need to access the appropriate GIS software (e.g. Esri’s ArcGIS, QGIS or GeoDa) listed in the Software tab .Under the Data Resources tab, you can find several illustrative datasets from S4 research projects.