BrownSites has been designed to be easier to update and to take advantage of best practices in web design. We created sections and pages in the left navigation to get you started. The naming, order, and hierarchy (called the site's information architecture) is designed to be consistent across departments and increase search result when users search for your pages.
- BrownSites is web-based. You don't need special software, it works with any web browser;
- looks and feels like the new Brown University website;
- allows for use of multimedia. Just paste the URL of your video/slideshow anywhere into the body of your page;
- pulls in calendar events from events.brown.edu;
- shares news with an optional news feed: let users subscribe to your news;
- has public and draft modes;
- tracks page revisions;
- has roles to manage permissions. Make colleagues "Contributors" to draft content, "Reviewers" to see drafted content, or "Editors" to publish updates;
- core software is managed by the WebServices team;
- gains new features regularly. As WebServices rolls out new features, they become available to all sites.
- is customizable. Contract WebServices to add online directories, resources, applications, slideshows, and almost anything you can dream up to your site.