Every year, more than eight million individuals visit brown.edu and view the University’s webpages more than 40 million times. The brown.edu website is complex, consisting of more than 100,000 webpages managed by decentralized web content editors in departments across the institution.
Guided by the overarching goal of a unified web presence offering an outstanding, best-in-class user experience for Brown’s millions of digital constituents, the current, operational phase of the project is to sequentially rebuild the University's 200+ official websites in the Drupal 8 content management system.
Launched in 2019, brown.edu is a modern, accessible and cohesive website that tells Brown's stories to the world. Accomplishments of the rebuild project include:
- A visual design that is beautiful, compelling and usable.
- New webpages for the About, Academics, Admission & Aid, Life at Brown and Research sections of brown.edu.
- A logical, easy-to-understand navigation structure that reduced the fragmented nature of Brown’s web presence.
- A unified, easy-to-use Drupal 8 CMS that supports continuous improvement and facilitates content sharing across University websites.
- Compliance with federal requirements for accessibility.
- Flexible and modular design components that reflect the University’s visual identity guidelines and allow different page layouts to meet the unique needs of individual units.
- Increased capacity and functionality for units at Brown to showcase the distinctiveness of their programs.
- Improved integration with calendars, maps, social media and other platforms.
- Long-term capacity for delivering content aligned with user interest.
- Reliance on best practices related to SEO, analytics and content personalization.
- Simplified support, security and technical maintenance of the site.