Skip to Navigation

Graduate Student Resources


It's okay to ask for help. At Brown, we care about the whole you and work with you to support your success. Begin with some of the resources listed below. For resources marked "confidential," please see the definition below.

If you are not sure where to go or are not sure what your question is, you can start with one of the Graduate School deans or one of the Support Deans in the Office of Student Life. 


Questions about...

Your academic progress and/or milestones?

Contact your Department/Division or Program, Director of Graduate Studies, Advisors or Chairs.

Your academic concerns, advocacy help or fellowships?

The Graduate School's Associate Dean of Academic Affairs is the primary contact, but you can begin the conversation with any dean at the Graduate School. The Academic Affairs Manager and Academic Affairs Specialist are additional resources. See the Dean's & Staff page for contact details.

Your academic funding?

See our Financing & Support webpage, speak with a dean or the Office of Financial Aid. For questions about advanced funding in the humanities and social science, the Associate Dean of Student Development is the primary contact. 

Diversity and inclusion, campus climate, mentoring or avenues for recourse?

Contact the Associate Dean of Diversity Initiatives or the Diversity Initiatives Program AssistantFor experiences of bias, please consider the online Bias Incident Reporting Form.

Your professional development?

See the professional development webpage and contact the Associate Dean of Student Development. 

Additional resources:


Questions about...

Making an appointment or seeking confidential advice on mental health and physical health or wellness?

Health Services
Appointments: 401-863-3953 
Advice: 401-863-1330 (24/7)
Access to services included in health fee; Confidential resource

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) 
Appointments Mon - Sat and 24/7 crisis phone: 401-863-3476
Access to services included in health fee; Saturday hours for graduate students; Confidential resource

Seeking confidential counsel or support?

Office of the Chaplains and Religious Life
Brown's multifaith team of professional chaplains care for community members of all spiritual identities and those who are not religious.
Appointments/daily drop-in hours: Page-Robinson Hall, 4th Floor
Phone: 401-863-2344  

Seeking confidential help for sexual violence or abuse?

SHARE Advocates
(Sexual Harassment & Assault Resources & Education)
Email: [email protected]

Other Resources:
Sexual Assault Response line
Phone: 401-863-6000

Graduate School Deputy Title IX Coordinator
Phone: 401-863-1802 

Health or wellness resources or a consultation?

B’ Well Health Promotion
Phone: 401-863-2794

I am experiencing food insecurity and seeking assistance.

 Food and Related Resources for Graduate Students

Fitness and recreation?

Athletics and Physical Education
Phone: 401-863-5100


Questions about...

A personal, medical or family matter?

Make an appointment with the Graduate School Dean of Student Support to discuss concerns and academic implications. Email: [email protected].

Talk with Deans in the Office of Student Support Services 
Phone: 401-863-3145 Email: [email protected]

For evening or weekend emergencies: call Public Safety (401-863-3322) and ask to speak to the Administrator on Call.

Emergency funding, short-term loan, or food insecurity?

Apply for emergency funds or short-term loan through UFunds or meet with the Associate Dean of Student Support or the Operations and Enrollment Management Specialist.

Issues arising from life at Brown?

Have an off-the-record conversation with the Ombuds Office.
Phone: 401-863-6145
Email: [email protected]
Watch a video introduction & learn more.

Disability services or support for accommodations, medical conditions or temporary injuries?

Student and Employee Accessibility Services
Phone: 401-863-9588
Email: [email protected] and mention that you are a graduate student.

Additional resources:

Didn’t find your question? Reach out to one of the Graduate School deans or one of the Support Deans in the Office of Student Life to start a conversation. Or see Who to Ask for additional questions and contacts.

Confidential: “Confidential” means that the designated office or campus professionals can maintain the confidentiality of a complainant’s disclosures. They cannot reveal identifiable information shared by an individual to any other person without express permission of the individual, or as otherwise permitted or required by law.