Biological Materials Shipping

Shipments of certain biological materials are regulated domestically by the Department of Transportation (DOT) as well as the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), and the International Air Transportation Association (IATA), if sent internationally. Carrying biological materials on one’s person onto an aircraft is prohibited.

The steps to properly ship biological materials include:

  • Classification
  • Packaging
  • Labeling
  • Documentation

Anyone participating in any one of the previous steps must be trained and certified according to DOT and IATA regulations.  All shipments must be coordinated with EHS by submitting a Shipment Request Form.

Intra-campus Transport of Biological Materials

Personnel involved in the movement or transport of biological materials between university buildings must take Materials of Trade training (MOT Training). MOT training is assigned to individuals by EHS and is provided via Traincaster.

Permit Information

Federal or state permits may be required for some biological materials. See below or contact us at 401-863-3181 for more information. Permits are issued in the name of the PI who is required to keep them updated and current as necessary; the Biosafety Office does not hold any “centralized” permits.  Please check the resources tab for other permits.

The transfer of Biological Select Agents and Toxins is also regulated by the USDA/CDC. Each shipment of listed agents must be registered with the USDA/CDC through a responsible facility official at both the shipping and receiving entities. Please contact EHS, Biosafety before sending or requesting any Select Agents.

Brown’s Export Control Program

Export control laws, implemented both by the Department of Commerce through its Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and the Department of State through its International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), have been in existence for many years. In addition, the US Treasury Department through the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), prohibits or restricts certain activities with embargoed countries, sanctioned entities, and sanctioned individuals.  More information regarding export controls can be found on the Office of Research Integrity website.