Hot Work Program

The Brown University Hot Work program was designed to prevent fires from occurring during and after hot work is performed. A hot work permit is required for hot work inside and outside of any Brown property, regardless of occupancy.

A hot work permit is required for the following activities:

  • Welding and allied processes
  • Heat treating
  • Grinding or cutting, including metal studs
  • Thawing pipe
  • Brazing
  • Soldering
  • Torch-applied roofing in conjunction with the requirements of NFPA 241, Standard for Safeguarding Construction, Alteration, and Demolition Operations
  • Similar applications producing or using a spark, open flame, or heat guns