You can assist your student by providing emotional and logistical support throughout the investigation process. This may include helping them prepare for the possibility of being separated from Brown for a period of time (housing arrangements, requirements for enrolling at another institution, financial considerations, etc.). You should encourage your student to ask questions if they are unsure of something about the process and to seek support resources that are available to them on campus (Student Support Services, Counseling and Psychological Services, Office of the Chaplains and Religious Life, Health Services, Student Accessibility Services, etc.). Their Case Administrator can help connect them to these resources.