Meet some of our 5th year alums:
- Open only to students currently enrolled at Brown. To be eligible for a 5th year, you must apply before you complete your undergraduate studies, but admission can be deferred once accepted into the program.
- Must meet or exceed requirements for undergraduate concentration in engineering at Brown.
- Do not have to take GREs.
Must fill out graduate school application, 2 letters of recommendation, provide a personal statement, CV/Resume, and indicate interest in Biomedical Engineering 5th Year Program.
- One of the 2 letters of recommendation must be from a Brown faculty accepting the student into his/her lab (thesis advisor) with a strong commitment to act as the student’s mentor.
- A supplemental form requesting undergraduate course transfer and a proposed course of study must also be included with the application.
- Must choose a Brown faculty member to be thesis advisor before start of the program.
A minimum of 8 tuition units
- Not more than 3 of which are for independent study
At least 5 structured (not seminar, not independent study) advanced-level (1000 or 2000) biology and engineering courses
- at least 2 in biology
- at least 2 in engineering.
- Must receive a grade of B or better, courses must be taken for a grade rather than credit/no credit.
- A maximum of 2 advanced level courses can be applied toward a Master's degree as long as they are not used towards fulfillment of undergraduate concentration.
- Must complete ethics module.
- Submit final thesis, present work as a seminar, and pass final oral examination by Thesis Committee.
Typical 5th Year Program Timeline: