5th Year Integrated ScM Program Overview
The Graduate Program in Biomedical Engineering is a joint venture by the Division of Biology and Medicine and the Division of Engineering. The Program offers advanced training appropriate for careers in academia or industry in the field of biomedical engineering.
The following list is an overview of the requirements for the 5-year Integrated Master's Degree in Biomedical Engineering. For more specific details, please refer to the Graduate Program Guidelines.
Benefits of 5th-Year ScM Degree
As a 5th-year master's student, you may be able to accelerate completion of your program and finish in one year. You may request that up to 2 advanced level (1000, 2000) biology or engineering courses taken as a Brown undergraduate be applied towards your ScM degree. This can lower the number of courses you will need to take and will lower the number of courses that the Registrar charges you.
Submit applications through Brown University's Graduate School- http://www.brown.edu/academics/gradschool/apply
5th-Year Master's Program
- 5-year baccalaureate/master's open only to Brown students.
- Must meet or exceed requirements for undergraduate concentration in biomedical engineering at Brown.
- Do not have to take GREs.
- Must apply for integrated program before completion of undergraduate studies.
- Must choose a Brown faculty member to be thesis advisor before start of the program.
- Students must complete the online application which includes two letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and an unofficial transcript. Student fills out application form and suggests a proposed curriculum. See the Graduate School page here
- One of the 2 letters of recommendation must be from a Brown faculty accepting the student into his/her lab (thesis advisor) with a strong commitment to act as the student’s mentor.
- A minimum of 8 tuition units (e.g. 8 courses, not more than 3 of which are for thesis research) is required for master's degree.
- Must take an approved set of courses, at least 5 structured (not seminar, not independent study) advanced-level (1000 or 2000) biology and engineering courses, at least 2 in biology and at least 2 in engineering.
- Must receive a grade of B or better, courses must be taken for a grade rather than credit/no credit.
- A maximum of 2 advanced level courses can be applied towards master's degree as long as they are not used towards fulfillment of undergraduate concentration.
- Must complete ethics module.
- Submit final thesis, present work as a seminar and pass final oral examination by Thesis Committee.
All current master's students should read and understand the rules associated with the BME ScM program at Brown, specifically in the area of course planning. If a change in your course of study is needed, please use the form below as a petition to the Director of the master's program:
ScM Student Placement
Student placement from 2010-2017
- Bozicevic, Field & Francis LLP
- Brown University, Office of Continuing Education
- DePry Spine
- Edison Investment Research
- Euro-Pro LLC
- Inventiv Health Clinical
- LZ Inernational
- Makah Tribe Public Health Division
- Mass. Innovation Labs
- Medical Student, Warren Alpert Medical School
- Ocular Therapeutix
- Orthopedix, Inc
- Perkin Elmer
- PhD Candidate, Brown University Biomedical Engineering Program (10 students)
- PhD Candidate, Brown University Biotechnology Program
- PhD Candidate, Brown University MCB Program
- PhD Candidate, École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne
- PhD Candidate, University of Illinois Urbana
- PhD Candidate, University of Maryland College Park - University of Maryland
- PhD Candidate, University of North Carolina
- Process Development Engineer 480 Biomedical, Inc.
- Ragon Institute of MGH, MIT and Harvard
- RI Orthopedic Foundation/ Life Span
- St. Judes
- Siemens Healthcare
- Stanford University School of Medicine
- System Integration Analyst at Accenture
- Technologies Against Assault
- The Broad Institute
- University of Pennsylvania
- Vibrant America Clinical Laboratory
- Ximedica (2 students)
- Xtuit Pharmaceuticals
- ZSX Medical