Why choose Brown for your PhD?
Students customize their curriculum.
- Students take 6 structured courses of their choosing in our PhD program.
- Your course selections can focus on your research or your career interests.
- Students can apply to enroll in Brown’s Open Graduate Education to pursue a master’s degree in a secondary field.
The program is designed for student success.
- There are rigorous checkpoints, but most students who enter PhD program finish.
- Evaluations are centered on research skills and progress, not rote learning.
Students engage in cutting-edge dissertation research:
- Our advisors are passionate, supportive, and committed to strong mentorship.
- Students direct match to the research labs of our core faculty through the admission process.
There is a high level of collaboration among research groups.
- Our students publish in top scientific journals: 2020 First-Author Publications by Our PhD Students
PhD students are generally accepted with a commitment of financial support for the duration of their thesis.
- The funding commitment does require that their research and academic studies progress satisfactorily and they are otherwise in good standing.
Students also earn fellowships.
- Fellowships awarded to our PhD students (2007-2023):
Students report high satisfaction with their degree and their experience and continue to great careers.
- BME PhD placement (2007-2019, 77 students):
- Companies our PhD graduates have been hired by:
- Institutions our PhD graduates are faculty or fellows:
Brown BME alumni and current students can join our LinkedIn Group to network and access job postings.