The News and Editorial team in the Office of University Communications serves as the primary point of contact for interactions between Brown University and members of the external news media.
We work with colleagues on campus to identify stories with external newsworthiness, proactively convey that news to journalists and facilitate positive coverage of Brown. We also respond to inbound queries from the news media, which often include requests for:
- official comment or statement from the University
- news media access to campus for an event or interview
- faculty experts to serve as sources for media stories
- data and information on Brown programs and initiatives
- photography and video assets
We invite and encourage Brown faculty and staff to consider the News and Editorial team a go-to resource for any interaction with the news media. We can assist with inbound media requests, news releases, interviews, opinion pieces, media training and more.
The following points provide some additional basics on interactions between Brown and the media:
- We encourage faculty and staff to direct all inbound media requests to our attention.
- Requests for official comment or statement on a University issue MUST be directed to our attention.
- All news media visits to campus should be authorized by News and Editorial in advance.
- News releases and outbound communications to media should be coordinated with News and Editorial.
- Archived news releases are available on the News from Brown website.
- We can offer tips and training for successful media interviews.
- We maintain a broadcast interview studio available for use for media interviews.
- We post prominent, positive In the News media mentions on the News from Brown website.