Brown has an image use policy that establishes standards for use of still or motion images in Brown communications that include recognizable individuals. Brown University is subject to state and federal laws regarding privacy that require permissions for images highlighting individuals for marketing or promotional purposes.
In order to display images in Brown print or digital communications, the unit hosting that communication must have permission from the people who are highlighted in the photograph or video if the photograph meets the standards of being used for marketing or promotional use. Brown or the unit also must own copyright of the images, and/or have an agreement with the photographer that allows use of the image.
Permission to incorporate a produced work (for example, consent to use a photo) is distinct from image-use permission (consent from the person in the photo) and is additionally subject to Brown's policies for Copyright and Fair Use.
The video training module and list of resources below are designed to complement the full Image Use Policy, which can be found on the University Policies site.
Image Use Policy Training
Image Release and Consent Forms
- Brown University Image Use General Consent and Release form (PDF)
- Brown University General Recording Consent and Release for Guest Presentation (PDF)
- Arts Performer Image Consent and Release form (PDF)
- Artistic Contributor - Consent to Distribute form (PDF)
- Arts Permission to Use Images of Creative Work form (PDF)
- Guide to Arts Image Release and Consent Forms (PDF)
Additional Resources and Guidelines
The Office of University Communications maintains internal tip sheets and guidelines for members of the campus community seeking additional guidance to understand image permissions. Please email the Office of University Communications to request any of the following documents:
- “Do I Need Image Use Permission?” Chart
- Managing Image Permissions- Implementation Guide
- Detailed FAQ for Understanding Brown’s Use of Images
This Image Use Policy is intended to address the typical circumstances in which a question arises about the use of photographs and electronic images maintained by University units. The policy is administered under the guidance of Brown’s Office of University Communications.