The EAS Department seeks to encourage concentrators and non-concentrators to pursue intensive language training. We are pleased to be able to offer summer fellowships for intensive language programs in Chinese, Japanese or Korean.
For both concentrators in East Asian Studies and non-concentrators
- Undergraduates planning to attend summer language programs online or in-person may apply to the EAS Department for fellowship support of up to $5,000*. Funds can only be applied to tuition at this time. Preference will be given to students engaged in the study of East Asia and the program of the East Asian Studies Department.
Tuesday, March 1, 2022, at 12 PM
To be considered, all applicants must:
- Submit a completed online application via UFUNDs, including:
- transcript (directly from Banner is sufficient)
- personal statement
- faculty reference (name, title, email)
- detailed itemized budget (language program cost, estimated travel, lodging and living expenses, etc.)
- supervisor statement, offer letter, and position description (required for internship)
- proposal (required for thesis research)
Students receiving a fellowship must:
- Reply by 4/15/22 as to whether you accept or decline the fellowship.
- Provide an acceptance letter from the language program they wish to attend.
- Inform EAS if you receive funding from any source.
Within three weeks of returning to Brown all students are required to submit to the EAS Communications & Outreach Coordinator the following:
- 1-2 page reflective essay summarizing the experience.
- If the student is unable to attend the program after the award has been distributed s/he will be required to return the fellowship money in full.
Chinese Language Program - awards will be given up to $5,000
Japanese Language Program - awards will be given to $1,000
Korean Language Program - awards will be given up to $5,000