EAS Concentration

The concentration reflects the Department’s multi-disciplinary approach and eclectic interests. We encourage the pursuit of competence in one or more of the languages the Department offers as well as, the development with the help of faculty advisors - ofa plan of study that reflects a well articulated theoretical, (multi)disciplinary, or thematic approach to the study of East Asia.  Recent graduates of the concentration have gone on to employment in public service, the media industry,  - finance, and consulting. A significant percentage of our concentrators continue their studies in graduate and professional schools within a few years of graduation.

Concentration Checklist as of Spring 2022

Concentration Checklist before Spring 2022 (Only available to concentrators who declared prior to concentration changes)



  • Language study through the level of 0600 or the equivalent of Chinese, Japanese, or Korean
  • Eight elective courses
    • EAST Requirement: At least three of the eight electives must be East Asian Studies (EAST) courses at any level; Chinese (CHIN),  Japanese (JAPN), or Korean (KREA) courses at the 1000-level and above may also count toward this requirement. 
    • Focus Requirement: In order to ensure intellectual coherence and focus in the concentration, at least three of the eight electives must focus on the geographic region associated with the student’s language study/expertise. For example, a concentrator studying Japanese language should take at least three courses focusing on Japan.
    • Breadth Requirement: At least one of the eight electives must focus on content in an East Asian country or culture other than those associated with the language the student is using to satisfy the concentration’s language requirement. A concentrator studying China, for example, would choose at least one course that focuses on Korea and/or Japan. 
    • Senior Seminar Requirement: At least one of the eight elective courses must be an advanced research seminar, taken in the senior year. 
  • For Honors candidates only: East 1930 (Senior Thesis, Semester 1) and 1940 (Senior Thesis, Semester 2).
  1. Review all concentration requirements and compile a course plan. 
  2. Meet with Program and Outreach Coordinator Lauren Leslie. Bring a copy of your draft course plan. Lauren will help determine if your plan of study meets the requirements for the concentration, she will try to answer any questions you may have, and may also suggest that you meet with our Director of Undergraduate Studies.
  3. Go to ASK (advising sidekick) to submit officially your concentration declaration.