Major Accomplishments of 2019
From breakthroughs in the lab to the unveiling of a new innovation hub, 2019 was a high-octane year for the engineers, neuroscientists and data scientists at Brown’s Carney Institute for Brain Science.
Stay up to date with the latest news from Carney
Subscribe to Carney Now
- 200 faculty from 20 units are affiliated with the Carney Institute. The institute welcomed 3 new faculty, 2 of whom joined the institute’s Center for Translational Neuroscience.
- Carney-affiliated faculty published more than 250 articles in journals including: Science, Nature Communications, Nature Neuroscience, Nature Medicine, Journal of Neuroscience, Neuron, eLife and more.
Investing in Research
- In FY19, 44 of our faculty were awarded more than $28M in external grants for brain-related research. And an interdisciplinary team started FY20 with $6.3M in DARPA funding.
- In FY19, 65% of Carney grants were collaborative.
- In FY19, 52% of Carney grants involved 28 partners outside of Brown.
- In 2019, Carney awarded more than $900K in internal grants, funding 6 innovation awards for faculty, 4 graduate awards and 5 Undergraduate Teaching and Research Awards.
- In partnership with the Brown Institute for Translational Science, the Carney Institute established the Center for Translational Neuroscience. Carney now has 5 research centers and initiatives.
- Carney hosted 37 events, including seminars, lunch talks, workshops and a postdoc retreat.
- 21 Carney-affiliated graduate students visited 11 elementary, middle and high schools to introduce more than 400 students to the wonders of brain science.
- The institute commissioned 3 brain-inspired works of art from Brown University students.
- Carney held a professional development workshop for 12 teachers from Sophia Academy on how to teach to the tween/teen brain.
Leading in Innovation
- Scientists conducted 1,580 hours of brain scans at Carney's MRI Facility.
- The Carney Institute and its affiliated researchers appeared more than 150 times in media such as The New York Times, NPR, PBS, US News & World Report, The Boston Globe and more.