Tuition and Fees Quicklinks:
|Undergraduate Tuition & Fees||Medical Tuition & Fees|
|Graduate Tuition & Fees||Executive Masters Tuition & Fees|
Use the Quicklinks above for complete tuition and fee information. See below for fee descriptions.
Description of Fees:
Health Insurance Fee & Waiver
- The Insurance Office is responsible for the University student health insurance plan. An annual fee is charged to all registered students. Participation in the University student health insurance plan is mandatory. However, students may waive participation in the student health insurance plan if they are covered under a parental or private plan that provides comparable coverage (See below for waiver instructions.). Information and instructions on how to waive the plan were mailed to students in May.
- Health Insurance Fee Waiver: Students must complete an online waiver at www.gallagherstudent.com for EACH academic year if the student doesnot wish to participate in the University student health insurance plan. Please refer to the Insurance Office website for the waiver submittal deadline and additional assistance. Upon receipt and approval of the waiver, the student’s account will be credited for the insurance fee. Parents/students are responsible for making sure that the online waiver is submitted by the deadline.
Health Services Fee & Waiver
- The Health Services Office is responsible for providing services. A Health Service Fee is charged to all degree candidates to cover the costs of providing care at Health Services during the period from late August through Commencement Day. Each student is entitled to unlimited professional visits to the primary care staff of physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners and nurses.Hours of operation, available services and fees, excluding the student health fee, are subject to change. Please refer to the University Health Services web site at http://www.brown.edu/health for the most current information.
- Health Services Fee Waiver: Waivers of the Health Services fee are available only to students who meet one of the following requirements: students who have been given specific permission to enroll in absentia (students not in geographic residence); non-degree candidates other than guest students from other institutions; University regular employees; special students; faculty; and faculty/staff spouses with tuition benefits. All other students are required to pay this fee. All waivers must be requested in writing. Undergraduates should submit waiver requests to Jennifer Hodshon, Health Services, Box 1928. Graduate and medical school students should refer to the Graduate School or Medical School for health fee waiver request procedures. Term I requests must be submitted no later than October 15; Term II requests must be submitted no later than February 15. Health Services Fee Waivers will not be applied retroactively to previous semester’s fees. If a waiver is granted, Health Services credits the student account. Waived students who access services will be charged the full term Health Services fee.
Student Activity Fee
A Student Activity Fee is charged to all registered students to support the activities of student organizations.
- Undergraduate Students: An Activity Fee is charged to all undergraduates, the full balance of which is allocated by the student-run Undergraduate Finance Board to support the activities of categorized student organizations and the Undergraduate Council of Students.
- Graduate Students: All registered graduate students are charged an Activity Fee each term for the support of the activities of the Graduate Student Council. Students registered in absentia as traveling scholars are not required to pay this fee.
- Medical Students: All registered medical students are charged an Activity Fee each term for the support of registered student organizations and activities of the Medical Student Senate. Medical students who are registered and not on campus may apply for a waiver of the activity fee, stating the reason for a waiver by writing to the Medical School.
Student Recreation Fee
- All Brown University students are required to pay a recreation fee each term. The fee covers access to all recreational and fitness facilities. It does not cover intramural team participation or physical education classes.
Academic Records Fee
- An Academic Records Fee of $100 will be charged to all first-time attendees in degree programs with a program start date on or after July 1, 2018. This includes students in undergraduate, graduate, medical and executive master degree programs. The Academic Records Fee will cover transcripts for life (students will have to pay the FedEx fee) and electronic diplomas (for students who completed degrees on or after May 2015). The Academic Records Fee does not cover replacement diplomas.
- I am not in a degree program, will I be charged an Academic Records Fee? Possibly. Students in non-degree programs with a consortium agreement with Brown, such as Tugaloo, Harvard, Wheaton, RISD, and Brown Employees will not be charged an Academic Records Fee.
- Students in pre-baccalaureate programs, post-baccalaureate programs or other non-degree programs will be charged a $10 per student, per semester Academic Records Fee.
- I am a current student with a start date prior to July 2018, will I be charged the $100? No. Only students who start a new degree program on or after July 1, 2018 will be charged the $100 fee.
- I am a student returning to Brown after July 1, 2018 after a leave of absence. Will I be charged the Academic Records Fee? No. If you entered a Brown degree program prior to July 1, 2018 and are returning to the same degree program (Undergraduate, Graduate, Executive Masters, or Medical), you will not be charged the Academic Records Fee.
- I will be/have complete(d) a program at Brown prior to July 1, 2018, but I returning for a new degree program, will I be charged the Academic Records Fee? Yes. Students who begin a new degree program on or after July 1, 2018 will be charged an Academic Records Fee, unless they have already paid it in another program. Yes, Students who begin a new degree program on or after July 1, 2018 will be charged an Academic Records Fee, unless they have already paid it in another program.
Late Pre-Registration Fee and Late Course Change Fee
- A $15 fee is charged to all students for late course pre-registration. A $15 course change fee is charged for each course added after the second week of the term.
- A $70 fee is charged to all undergraduates who enroll after having been officially separated for any reason, including a leave of absence. Exception: Students completing foreign study approval procedures with the Office of International Programs in advance are not charged the re-admission fee if they return to Brown directly following their programs abroad.
- With the approval of the Dean of Medicine, medical students may be excused from attending classes to participate in research activities under faculty supervision for a designated period of up to two years. Such students are authorized to use Brown University educational resources (e.g., the libraries), but are not permitted to register for any courses.(Such students may retain their Brown ID card and have it validated upon payment of the fee.) Students on Medical Student Fellow status are certified as full-time students based on academic plans approved by the Director of Medical Student Affairs. Contact the Director of Medical Student Affairs for further information, Box G-A222, (401) 863-2441.