Brown Gives, the University's annual workplace fundraising campaign, supports United Way of Rhode Island's LIVE UNITED campaign. Brown Gives is more than just a workplace campaign. It's an opportunity to build relationships with colleagues from across the University, enhance teamwork among members of your department, and lead an initiative that helps Rhode Islanders who need our help the most. When you give to United Way, you join a much larger team -- one dedicated to investing in proven programs that bring real results.
Now, more than ever, Rhode Islanders need to help one another. There's no question that COVID-19 has made life more difficult, but it's not the root of our state's problems... it simply put a spotlight on them. Long before the pandemic, 54,200 families did not have enough to eat, 75% of children from low-income households did not meet the third-grade reading benchmark, and 65,000 Rhode Islanders struggled to find an affordable place to live.
100% of your support for United Way of Rhode Island (UWRI) goes directly to fund critical programs and urgent services—not costly overhead. This is made possible by a trust for UWRI that covers their fundraising and administrative costs.
Ways to Give
- Give in any amount via credit card, check, or payroll deduction.
- Give during Open Enrollment in Workday from Monday, November 9 - Monday, November 30; faculty and staff may donate a fixed monthly amount of $10, $25, $50, $75, $100 to be payroll deducted over the calendar year. Payroll deductions begin in January.
- In years past, in-person department events were a great way to have fun and connect with one another while doing some good. Themes, activities, games and incentives are still your opportunity to add a little something extra to your Brown Gives virtual events. And we can all use a little more connection and fun right now. Click here for some Virtual Event ideas! In lieu of collecting cash this year, we have set up an online payment system where participants can contribute to your department event.
- Purchase a long or short sleeve Brown Gives shirt with 100% of the proceeds going to the United Way of RI. Shirts can be purchased in the Brown Bookstore or shipped to your home (shipping fees apply). Shirts can be purchased here.
- Donations are post-tax; individuals may claim the deduction when tax returns are filed unless contributing to a department virtual event.
- Open Enrollment donations cannot be designated to a specific initiative within the United Way.
- The money raised through department events is deposited into a general fund which is then presented to the United Way.
|Brown Gives campaign begins||Monday, November 2|
|Open Enrollment Begins||Monday, November 9|
|Brown Gives campaign ends||Thursday, December 31|
Social media toolkit
Please feel free to download our Social Media Toolkit to help spread the word about Brown Gives! These assets will help make your campaign messages compelling and consistent. Incorporate Brown Gives into your email messages and virtual meetings. Show you care about your fellow Rhode Islanders with social media cover photos. You'll find:
- Zoom background
- Social media banners
- Facebook profile frame
- Gmail banner
Please email [email protected] for any questions, inquiries, or to join as a campaign leader.