Spring 2016 Office Hours (March 1 - May 3)
- The Health Careers Peer Advisors are an integral part of Brown's Health Careers Advising team. Consult a Brown undergraduate with experience as a health careers student during weekly office hours. The Peer Advisors also coordinate highly-informative and engaging events each semester.
|Tuesdays and Thursdays||12pm - 2pm||J. W. Wilson 313|
Ayomide Omobo, Class of 2017
Hometown: Blandensburg, MD
Concentration: A.B. Anthropology
- Brown University Emergency Medical Services
- Hasbro Children's Hospital - Child Life Volunteer
- Matched Advising Program Mentor
- Black Pre-Med Society at Brown
In Fall 2015 I transcribed a Maya temple for my "Ancient Maya Writing: class and it was awesome!
Christine Le, Class of 2016
Hometown: Florence, KY
Concentration: Health and Human Biology
- Project Sunshine Co-President
- Residential Peer Leader
- New Scientist Program Peer Advising and Leadership Initiative Peer Mentor
- Summer 2015: HIV-Related Stigma Faced by Children and Mothers of the Mai Tam House of Hope in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Brown University Minority Health International Research Training Program.
- Summer 2014: Improving Healthy Housing Within Rhode Island Communities by Evaluating Current Training Facilities/Programs and Funding Sources. Green and Healthy Homes Initiative Research Institute.
- Spring 2013-Spring 2014: Body Dysmorphic Disorder Research. Rhode Island Hospital and Brown University Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior.
- ·Summer 2013: Crumpled Graphene Oxide Nanostructures for Advanced Water Treatment Technologies. National Nanotechnology Infrastructure Network’s Research Experience for Undergraduates Program. Washington University in St. Louis Department of Energy, Environmental, and Chemical Engineering.
My first time abroad was this past summer in Vietnam.
Elizabeth Bolton, Class of 2016
Hometown: Miami, Florida
- CareFree Clinic Volunteer Health Provider
- Varsity Women’s Water Polo
- Organic Chemistry Teaching Assistant
- Fall 2014- Present: Characterizing DNA Secondary Structure of Hairpin-Containing Base Excision Repair Intermediates , Brown University Department of Chemistry
- Summer 2013: Location of certain new intrinsically photosensitive retinal ganglion cells, Brown University Department of Neuroscience
- Summer 2010: Locations and ways in which epilepsy manifests itself in children’s brains, Miami Children’s Hospital Neurology Department
I can leg press more than I weigh
Jack Haglin, Class of 2016
- Head TA for BIOL0470 and TA for BIOL0200
- Brown University Emergency Medical Services
- Co-President of Brown's AMSA chapter (American Medical Student Association)
- Volunteer at CHEER Free Clinic
- UCS Public Safety Oversight Comittee
- Brown Club Baseball
- Fall 2014-Present: Assessing the Efficacy of Silver-doped Antimicrobial Coatings on Prosthetic Liners. Diane Weiss Center for Orthopaedic Trauma at Rhode Island Hospital.
- Summer 2014: Meta-analysis for Treatment Outcomes of Distal Bicep Repair with Grade 2+ Distal Bicep Tear. Sports and Orthopeadic Specialists, Edina, Minnesota.
- Summer 2013: Role of Serca-2a Gene and Protein Production in Cardiac Function, University of Minnesota, Department of Biochemsitry.
When I'm home, I spend at least half of my time fishing.
Lauren Chan, Class of 2016
Hometown: Flushing, New York
- Swearer Center Community Fellow for Outdoor Leadership Environmental Education Program
- Competitive Ballroom Dancer for Brown's Ballroom Dance Team
- Volunteer for CareFree Clinic
Research and Work Experience:
- Spring 2014- Present: Psychology Intern. Memorial Hospital of Rhode Island Department of Family Medicine
- Spring 2013- Present: Adolescent Patient-Centered Medical Home Initiative. Memorial Hospital of Rhode Island Department of Family Medicine
- Spring 2013- Spring 2014: Effects of PCB Exposure on Developing Larval Zebrafish Memory and Learning. Brown University Department of Psychology
I love animals (especially marine life) so in high school, I worked at the NY Aquarium for 3 years.
Rachel Levy, Class of 2016
Hometown: Washington, DC
- Brown Emergency Medical Services BLS supervisor
- Planned Parenthood Health Center Advocacy intern
- National Institutes of Health patient interviewer/ summer intern
- Social Action House former president and member
- Sexual Violence Student Researcher and Advocate at the Sarah Doyle Women’s Center
- Moral Voices initiative on LGBTQ+ violence co-chair
- Summer 2015—La Fundación de Investigación in San Juan, Unas historias de cura, a book of patient narratives published by La Fundación
- Fall 2014—William Fairbrother’s DNA splicing lab at Brown University
- Summer 2014—National Institutes of Health and Partnership for HIV/AIDS Progress Hepatitis C Clinics, Sofosbuvir for treatment of chronic hepatitis C, published in Hepatology International and The Understanding of a Situation, a book of patient narratives published by the NIH
- Summer 2013—Johns Hopkins University, Attachment Style and Risk for Sexually Transmitted Infections Within a Prospective Cohort of Urban Adolescent Females, Journal of Adolescent Health.
I used to anticipate Pi Day with Christmas-Eve level enthusiasm.