Standardized Tests (MCAT, DAT, GRE, PA-CAT)

Different health professions require different standardized tests in the application process. Medical schools (MD, DO, and some foreign) require the MCAT. Dental schools require the DAT. Some veterinary medicine schools require the GRE and some accept the MCAT, but many have removed their standardized test requirement. Some PA programs require the GRE, others require the PA-CAT, and a few have no standardized test requirement. The MCAT, DAT and PA-CAT are based on content knowledge you amass during your years in college and  require extensive knowledge and intensive preparation. The links on the left provide comprehensive information about these standardized tests and preparation materials.

In addition, some health professional schools have begun requiring or recommending a new type of standardized test known as a situational judgment test. There are two tests to consider: the AAMC PREview, and the Casper. These are not required or even recommended for all schools so please check with the schools to which you plan to apply to determine if you should take either of these tests. More information about these tests can be found by clicking on the links on the left menu.

Brown University's Curricular & Co-curricular Funding is available to assist undergraduate students in supplementing expenses for standardized test preparation costs, including the MCAT. To apply, log into UFunds, search for the "Emergency Funds, Curricular & Co-curricular Gap (E-Gap) Funds" grant, then apply through the "Professional Development, Curricular, and Co-curricular Assistance Grant" section. Please note that it is not necessary to list a recommender for this application.