Participating in student groups can be an excellent way to build community on campus, to engage in leadership and collaborative activities, and to develop knoweldge, experience, and qualities that can make your time at Brown fulfilling and your preparation for your chosen profession more substantive. The Health Professions Competencies could help you reflect on the type of activities you may want to engage in.
The Student Activities Office oversees and maintains a list of officially recognized Brown student organizations. BearLink is the portal where you can peruse all official student groups. We provide a list of some of the student organizations with a health and medicine focus. This list is not exhaustive and we encourage you to explore the vibrant community of student organizations through their web materials, information sessions, fairs and other activities.
Mission: To foster a sense of unity amongst Black premed students at Brown by offering an environment in which they can voice concerns and questions about pursuing health careers. Providing support, mentorship, and resources to students of the African Diaspora who are interested in pursuing health careers.
MAPS is the undergraduate branch of the medical school organization: Student National Medical Association, or SNMA. MAPS was designed to help students find a community of minority premeds on campus and expose them to social, academic, and professional resources to ensure success in the medical field. We also work to educate and increase the awareness of the Brown campus and community to various topics related to minorities and health. To get involved, like our Facebook page and email firstname.lastname@example.org to get on the ListServ!
The Brown Pre-Dental Society, founded in 2010 is an organization for students at Brown University who are considering a career in dentistry.
Brown pre-med AMSA is the pre-medical chapter of the American Medical Student Association. Pre-med AMSA was organized in an effort to provide undergraduate Brown students the tools, resources, opportunities, and community they need to succeed in their chosen pre-health professions. Through workshops, panels, discussions, and conferences, we hope to facilitate collaboration, awareness, and knowledge for all pre-medical students at Brown. If interested in getting involved, email us at [email protected] and follow us on Facebook https://m.facebook.com/brownpremed/
We are the Pre-Veterinary Association at Brown University; our purpose is to assist students who have an interest in attending veterinary school after Brown. The Association works with students to advise them on necessary exams, classes, and practical experiences to attend veterinary school and invites alumni and veterinarians to speak with students about their interests and specialties. We work to foster a community on campus for those concerned with veterinary medicine, animal health and behavior.
Queer People and Allies for the Advancement of Medicine (QPAAM) is a student group at Brown University dedicated to educating about and advocating for health care equality on behalf of frequently underserved LGBTQ populations. We work to advance the state of LGBT health and medical education both on-campus and in the community.
In addition to our central objective of education, we aim to:
- Support the global Jade Ribbon Campaign
- Promote awareness through a variety of print, visual, and social media outlets
- Train and inspire student leaders around the nation to educate their surrounding communities
- Build partnerships with other student clubs and with local groups in the community
- Organize free or affordable HBV screening and vaccination events
- Practice political advocacy to garner federal aid for HBV awareness and vaccination programs
New Clubs Spring 2021:
- A Public Health & Social Justice track, whose monthly meetings seek to discuss the social burden of infectious diseases and come up with ways to alleviate them. This is the 'executive' branch of the club, through which we will organize campaigns and establish collaborations with meaningful parties in Providence and beyond.
Brown American Medical Women’s Association
AMWA is the newly established Brown Premed Chapter of the national American Medical Women's Association dedicated to creating a community of female identifying premed students at Brown, providing mentorship from women in different stages of the medical profession journey, supporting equity and inclusion in the workforce, and finally, bringing awareness to women’s health issues like HPV screening, breast cancer, and GI health.
Please complete our Interest Form.
National Organizations of Health Professions Students
- Student National Medical Association
- Latino Medical Student Association
- Association of American Indian Physicians
- American Medical Women's Association
- Asian Pacific American Medical Student Association
- Association of Native American Medical Students
- LGBT Committee in AMSA
- Minority Health Committee in AMSA
- National Association of Medical Minority Educators
- Student National Dental Association
- Society of American Indian Dentists