Data Use Agreements
ORI also centrally manages Data Use Agreements that involve research data. From start to finish, ORI will coordinate all behind-the-scenes required reviews (e.g., with CIS, OGC, etc.) and work expeditiously to bring draft agreements to execution on behalf of the investigator. ORI requires completion of the Data Use Agreement (“DUA”) Request form for all proposed incoming and outgoing DUAs to ensure that appropriate terms & conditions are negotiated. Please email any questions about the request or this form to [email protected] not to an individual email address to ensure timely review of your email.
Please review ORI's comprehensive Data Use Agreement Guidance for Researchers for answers to all of your DUA-related questions. This Guidance document covers:
Roles and Responsibilities
Procedures for when Brown is the Data Provider and when Brown is the Data Requestor
DUA Procedures for Special Categories of Data
Commonly Used DUA Terms
University Partners & Helpful Contacts
Links to Related Resources
PI completes DUA Request Form
Upon electronic receipt of a new request, the Office of Research Integrity will begin initial submission review and will contact the PI and the administrative contact listed in the submission if any of the required documentation is missing or incomplete.
- Once the terms have been finalized, the agreement will be circulated for signature.
- Once the agreement has been fully executed (signed by all parties), a PDF copy will be provided to the PI and to the administrative contact listed in the submission.
Completed DUA Request Form
Proposed DUA (as an editable Word document) or request to use Brown DUA template (if Brown is receiving data from another entity)
IRB approval letter (for human subject research data)
For incoming data, a DUA amendment may be required by the data provider for changes to the existing agreement.
Amendments may be necessary for:
- changes in custodian/contact information
- adding data files
- requesting an extension
- adding a collaborator
Please submit the proposed amendment and original agreement to [email protected] for review and once the amendment terms have been finalized, the agreement will be circulated for signature by OVPR.
For outgoing data, ORI will draft an amendment to an existing agreement upon request. Please begin by submitting the request to [email protected] for review.
Brown Data Shared Externally
- If Brown data being shared externally to Brown has been de-identified, Brown does not require a data use agreement or ORI review.
Non-Brown Data Being Shared with Brown
- The School of Public Health’s (SPH) leadership has authorization to review and sign data use agreements for Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services data when those data are being used for a SPH research project.
- Externally hosted third party data accessed electronically by Brown researches through acceptance of an electronic agreement (a “click through” agreement) does not require ORI review or signature. These agreements frequently appear as terms and conditions displayed on a computer screen for the researcher to click a “I accept” button or the equivalent. Researchers should read, save, and share these agreements with the entire research team.
- If external parties sharing their data with Brown do not require a data use agreement, Brown will not require a data use agreement or ORI review.
For any questions concerning when a data use agreement or ORI review is required, please contact [email protected].
Need additional help?
Please contact us at [email protected].