CLPS Departmental Climate Statement
The faculty, staff, and students of the Department of Cognitive, Linguistic, and Psychological Sciences (CLPS) strive to construct a community in which all members of the department are safe, supported, included, and respected. Recognizing that science is a collaborative and creative process relying on the free exchange of ideas, we affirm that this goal is important to us, not only because of the kind of community we want to create, but because a healthy community improves the quality of our science.
We as a community commit to:
- Creating and fostering a diverse department. This includes promoting diversity across dimensions of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, ethnicity, disability, first generation status, and socioeconomic status.
- Taking personal responsibility for awareness of both individual and community needs, including awareness of differential power dynamics.
- Participating in opportunities to learn more about how to achieve and maintain an inclusive community.
- Building trust and cultivating open dialogue among community members.
- Prioritizing the mental, emotional, and physical health of all members of our community.
We recognize that there may be times when our community and individuals in it may fall short of the ideals to which we aspire. Beyond making active efforts to better achieve these ideals, we commit ourselves to following clear procedures in place to hold ourselves and each other accountable to these ideals and to ensure that such procedures are fair and transparent.
This is a living document. Together, we aim to attain progress, not perfection. We will continuously update this living document to reflect our changing values.