Get Help

Sexual Violence and Assault

Anyone can experience sexual violence, regardless of age, gender, race, sexual orientation, ability, immigration or socioeconomic status. On this page you will find information, legal definitions, resources, and links you can use to learn more about sexual violence. It's important to remember that no one deserves to be harmed.

If you or someone you know has experienced sexual harm very recently, click on this link for information to consider in the first five days.

If you have experienced sexual violence at any time in the past, support is available. Click here for resources.

Brown takes any form of sexual violence very seriously. Click here to read more about the University's policy.

Definitions of sexual violence under Rhode Island law can be found in the RI Statutes

What is sexual violence?

Sexual violence refers to sexual activity when consent is not obtained or not given freely. Anyone can experience sexual violence. (Definition from the CDC.)

Sexual assault, a form of sexual violence, can be any unwanted sexual contact, such as unwanted touching, fondling, or groping of sexual body parts. It can be committed by the use of threats, force, coercion or when someone takes advantage of circumstances that render a person incapable of giving consent, such as intoxication. If you feel you may have experienced Sexual violence, there are many ways to get help. You can click here for more information.

For 24 hour immediate crisis support, Brown students can call the Sexual Assault Response Line at 401.863-6000.

Specific definitions for sexual assault and legal definitions for sexual violence can vary from state to state and country to country. 

Local laws apply to people when they are in that location, regardless of where they usually reside. Rhode Island law defines these as:

  • 1st Degree Sexual Assault -- sexual penetration of any orifice of the victim's body by a body part or object, achieved through force, threat of force or coercion.

  • 2nd Degree Sexual Assault -- physical contact of a sexual nature without consent, with a victim's genitals or buttocks or a person's (assigned female) breasts.

  • 3rd Degree Sexual Assault -- sexual activity between one party who is 18 years of age or older and one who is under 16 years of age. (Sixteen is the age of consent in Rhode Island - click here for definitions of child molestation.) 

What is consent?

Consent is defined by people officially affiliated with Brown University in the following way (abbreviated):

“Consent is an affirmative and willing agreement to engage in specific forms of sexual contact with another person. Consent requires an outward demonstration, through mutually understandable words or actions, indicating that an individual has freely chosen to engage in sexual contact.  Consent cannot be obtained through: (1)  the use of coercion or force or (2) by taking advantage of the incapacitation of another individual.”

For the full definition, click here.

Consent is an agreement that each person makes if they want to engage in sexual activity. The issue of consent can be a complicated and ambiguous area that needs to be addressed with clear, open, and honest communication. Keep these points in mind if you are not sure consent has been established:

Each person is equally free to act.

The decision to be sexually intimate must be without coercion, which includes a consideration of the power dynamics at play within sexual and interpersonal interactions. Each person must have the option to choose to be intimate or not. Each person should be free to change "yes" to "no" at any time. Factors such as body size, previous victimization, threats to "out" someone, and other fears can prevent an individual from freely consenting, as well as others. An offender may also use these factors to manipulate someone.

Each person needs to be fully conscious and aware.
The use of alcohol or other substances can interfere with someone's ability to make clear decisions about the level of intimacy they are comfortable with. The more intoxicated a person is, the less they are able to give conscious consent.

Each person clearly communicates their willingness and permission.
Willingness and permission must be communicated clearly and unambiguously. Just because a person fails to resist sexual advances does not mean that they are willing. Consent is not the absence of the word "no."

Each person is positive and sincere about their desires.
It is important to be honest in communicating feelings about consent. If one person states their desires, the other person can make informed decisions about the encounter.

(Adapted from Berkowitz, Alan. "Guidelines for Consent in Intimate Relationships," Campus Safety & Student Development, Vol. 3, No. 4, March/April 2002.)

I think I may have experienced sexual violence, what can I do?

If the incident occurred in the last 24 to 120 hours:

  • Call the Sexual Assault Response Line (401.863-6000) if you need immediate medical or police assistance.  If you are away from Brown, call 911. If you want to report the crime, notify Brown's Department of Public Safety immediately at 401.863-4111. For some, reporting the crime can help regain a sense of personal power and control.

  • Go to a safe place as soon as you can and ask someone you trust to stay with you.

  • Get help by calling one of these resources:

    • Sexual Assault Response Line, 401.863-6000. This number connects you with the Sexual Assault Crisis Counselor who can provide you with information as well as accompany you to the hospital if needed. AVAILABLE 24/7. Confidential support.

    • SHARE Advocates (Sexual Harassment & Assault Resources & Education), 401.863-2794. Confidential support.

    • University Health Services, 401.863-1330. Confidential services.

    • Brown Emergency Medical Services (EMS) 401.863-4111. Please use this number if there are any urgent injuries. AVAILABLE 24/7. Confidential services, however Brown EMS is dispatched by the Department of Public Safety.

    • Sexual Assault & Domestic Violence Hotline, 1-800-494-8100. AVAILABLE 24/7. Off-campus confidential or anonymous support.

  • Consider getting medical care. You can get care at Health Services or a hospital emergency room. For assistance navigating options, you can call the Sexual Assault Response Line, 401.863-6000. Even if you think that you do not have any physical injuries, you may need medical care, to discuss testing and treatment for infection, drug facilitated sexual assault screening (can screen for "date rape" drugs and/or alcohol), pregnancy prevention, and/or evidence collection.  All services, except evidence collection and drug testing, are offered at Health Services.

    • If you are concerned about pregnancy, you can take steps to prevent this by taking emergency contraception within 120 hours (5 days) of the assault. Emergency contraception is most effective when taken as soon as possible.  

    • Medications to prevent the development of some sexually transmitted infections and HIV can be provided by Health Services.  HIV prophylaxis treatment needs to be started within 72 hours.

    • If you think you were drugged or consumed a sedative-like substance, ask the medical provider to take a urine sample. Drugs like GHB and Rohypnol are more likely to be detected in urine than in blood. If you still have remnants of the drink, save them for analysis. Since many of these drugs clear the system quickly, a negative test result does not necessarily mean that no drug was involved.

    • Screening for drug facilitated sexual assault can take place up to 72 hours after the incident but ideally within 12 hours. Since many of these drugs clear the system quickly, a negative test result does not necessarily mean that no drug was involved. 

  • ​​​Try to preserve all evidence of the assault. Avoid drinking or eating, bathing, showering, douching, brushing your teeth, or changing your clothes, if you would like evidence collection. Evidence can be collected at an emergency room and you can decide later whether or not you want to press criminal charges.

  • Try to write down, or have a friend write down, everything you can remember about the incident including a physical description of the person or people who hurt you, their identity if you know it, and any other details you can recall.

Where do I go for help?

Whether the incident occurred recently or long ago, it is never too late to get help:

  • Talk to a counselor at one of the resources below to work through the emotional and physical impacts of the assault and to get support.

  • Find an on-campus Support Group here or a local support group by contacting Day One: The Sexual Assault and Trauma Resource Center to help you connect with other survivors and start the healing process.

Campus, Confidential Resources:

Sexual Assault Response Line 401.863-6000
Available through Psychological Services' on-call system. Confidential crisis support and information is available for any Brown student dealing with sexual assault. The on-call counselor is also available to accompany a victim to the hospital.

SHARE Advocates (Sexual Harassment & Assault Resources & Education), 401.863-2794, 3rd floor of Health Services
The SHARE Advocates are available to help students affected by sexual violence. Confidential services include support for a survivor or the friends of a survivor, help filing a complaint (if that is the student’s choice), help navigating resources at Brown and in the community, and educational programs for the student community. When you get support, you do not have to pursue any specific course of action and no action will be taken unless it’s something you choose.

Counseling and Psychological Services 401.863-3476
Clinicians provide confidential crisis support, follow-up appointments, and 24-hour on-call services for any Brown student dealing with sexual assault.  Located at J Walter Wilson, Room 516.

Brown Emergency Medical Services (EMS) 401.863-4111
Emergency response available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

University Health Services 401.863-3953
Confidential medical care, testing and treatment. Emergency contraceptive pills and treatment for sexually transmitted infections are available. Located at 13 Brown Street on the corner of Brown and Charlesfield Streets.

Chaplains Office 401.863-2344 
The Chaplains are available for personal counseling and support. Call to make an appointment. Located in J Walter Wilson, Room 410.

Campus, NOT Confidential Resources:

Office of Student Life/Dean-on-Call 401.863-3800
Provides a crisis response system which includes administrators-on-call.

Title IX Office
(401) 863-2386, Rene Davis, Title IX Program Officer
Information and support resources for the Brown University community around issues of sexual misconduct and Title IX. 

Brown Department of Public Safety 401.863-4111 (emergency response) 
Emergency response available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You may also direct any complaints to Public Safety's administrative number, 863-3322.

Off-campus, Confidential Resources:

Sexual Assault & Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-494-8100 
If you or someone you know needs help because of a sexual assault or an abusive relationship, call this hotline 24 hours a day. Counselor-advocates provide confidential support and are available to accompany victims of sexual assault to the hospital and police station. Ongoing counseling and support groups are available. (This hotline is specific to Rhode Island. Contact the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-800-656-HOPE if you need help in another state.)

Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) 1-800-656-HOPE
This is a national hotline for victims of sexual assault. The hotline offers free, confidential counseling and support 24 hours a day, from anywhere in the country. When a survivor calls the hotline, s/he is connected to the nearest local rape crisis center through a unique computer routing system that maintains the confidentiality of callers.

Local Hospitals and Emergency Rooms (Off-campus, Confidential):

Hasbro Children’s Hospital
593 Eddy Street, Providence 

  • Will care for patients age 25 and younger.

  • Serves patients of all gender identities (male, female and trans-identified).

  • Serves patients who may be intoxicated (alcohol and/or other drugs).

  • Provides medical care, including STI and HIV prophylaxis and emergency contraception.

  • Offers testing for drug-facilitated sexual assault up to 72 hours after an assault, even if you don’t want to have the evidence collection exam. (Be aware that some drugs may not be detectable after 12 hours.)

  • Can provide the evidence collection exam up to 72 hours after an assault.  

  • Will offer a Day One Advocate if you prefer off-campus support. (For a confidential crisis counselor from Brown, you can contact the Sexual Assault Response Line at 401.863-6000.)

  • Cost of treatment and evidence collection are covered by Rhode Island’s Victim Compensation Fund.  Be sure to tell the receptionist that you have been sexually assaulted and don’t want your insurance to be billed.

Miriam Hospital
164 Summit Avenue, Providence 

  • Serves patients who are 18 or older.

  • Serves patients of all gender identities (male, female and trans-identified).

  • Serves patients who may be intoxicated (alcohol and/or other drugs).

  • Provides medical care, including STI and HIV prophylaxis and emergency contraception.

  • Offers testing for drug-facilitated sexual assault up to 72 hours after an assault, even if you don’t want to have the evidence collection exam. (Be aware that some drugs may not be detectable after 12 hours.)

  • Can provide the evidence collection exam up to 72 hours after an assault.  

  • Will offer a Day One Advocate if you prefer off-campus support. (For a confidential crisis counselor from Brown, you can contact the Sexual Assault Response Line at 401.863-6000.)

  • Does NOT submit expenses to Rhode Island’s Victim Compensation Fund, so insurance may be billed and charges may be incurred.

Women and Infants Hospital
101 Dudley Street, Providence 

  • Serves female patients and some trans patients who are 18 or older.

  • Does NOT serve patients who are intoxicated.

  • Provides medical care, including STI and HIV prophylaxis and emergency contraception.

  • Does NOT offer testing for drug-facilitated sexual assault.

  • Can provide the evidence collection exam up to 96 hours (4 days) after an assault.

  • Will offer a Day One Advocate if you prefer off-campus support. (For a confidential crisis counselor from Brown, you can contact the Sexual Assault Response Line at 401.863-6000.)

  • Cost of treatment, evidence collection AND the ER visit are covered by Rhode Island’s Victim Compensation Fund.  Be sure to tell the receptionist that you have been sexually assaulted and don’t want your insurance to be billed.

Rhode Island Hospital
593 Eddy Street, Providence 

  • Rhode Island Hospital is a Level One Trauma Center.  This is the best hospital for care when someone has life-threatening physical injuries in addition to being sexually assaulted.

If I choose to report the incident, what are my options?

Whether the assault happened recently or a long time ago, you may consider reporting the incident. Reporting is a personal, complex decision. Only you can decide if you want to report the incident and to whom to report. The various reporting options are outlined below. These options are not mutually exclusive; you may pursue any or all of them. It is also common to change your mind or have questions about reporting. You can confidentially discuss reporting options, and what it may be like to report, with the SHARE Advocates (401.863-2794) or by calling the Sexual Assault Response Line, available 24-hours a day (401.863-6000).

Reporting Anonymously 

You might choose this option if you want to report the incident, but do not want any further action to be taken at this time.  This report is not a police report and no investigation will occur as a result.  If you choose this option, you can decide to make a formal and/or criminal report in the future.

You can make an anonymous or confidential report by contacting the SHARE Advocate (401.863-2794). This report will collect statistical information about the incident (date, location, whether the person assaulted is a Brown student).  You can make this report for yourself or for someone you know. No identifying information will be included in the report.  When appropriate, incident information will be reported anonymously for mandatory reporting statistics.

Reporting Sexual Assault to Brown University

You might choose this option if you want to formally report sexual assault and seek University judicial action.  

If you and the perpetrator are Brown students, you can file a complaint alleging a violation of the Sexual Misconduct Policy with the Office of Student Life.  

Communications will not be disseminated to others except on a need-to-know basis.  The University must balance the wishes of the reporting person while protecting the overall university community and ensuring appropriate disciplinary measures are taken.

Reporting Sexual Assault to the Police

You might choose this option if you wish to report an assault and, possibly, pursue criminal prosecution.

You can file a police report by contacting Brown's Department of Public Safety (DPS) (401.863-4111), 24 hours a day.

Michelle Nuey, Special Victims Unit, DPS,(401.863.2542) can provide information and support concerning legal reporting options and assistance with filing a report. You can seek information without filing an official police report.

Off campus incidents will need to be reported to law enforcement in the town that where the incident occurred.  However, Michelle Nuey at DPS can assist with facilitating this process.  If the incident occurred off campus, in Providence, you can file a report with the Providence Police. 
Emergency: 911
Non-Emergency: 401.272-3121
Special Victims Unit: 401.243-6236

If you choose to file a police report the Coordinator of Sexual Assault Prevention and Advocacy or Michelle Nuey, Special Victims Unit staff at DPS can accompany and assist you.

All victims of sexual assault on Brown's campus (students, faculty, staff and guests) can report the incident to DPS.    

What happens during the medical exam?

Even if you have no apparent injuries after the assault, it is still a good idea to seek medical care. Going to the hospital, even though it might be difficult, is an important way for you to start taking care of yourself. You can decide what medical care you want or don't want. You may come to Health Services or you may go to any hospital you choose. If you need to be transferred from Health Services to another emergency care site, Brown EMS can transport you.

At the hospital, you will be asked questions about your general health. If you are someone who could become pregnant, you will be asked about your menstrual history and your use of contraception. You will also be asked specific questions about the assault. It may be difficult to recall some of the details, and it may be emotionally painful to talk about what happened. Medical providers ask specific questions to find out what to look for when they examine you. The information you give helps them conduct a thorough and appropriate physical evaluation.

Then you can choose to have a physical exam. The clinician will check for external and internal injuries and test for any sexually transmitted infections. You may be given antibiotics to prevent infection. A pregnancy test will be done if appropriate and you will be given emergency contraceptive pills to prevent unintended pregnancy.

The medical providers will, with your permission, collect physical evidence to be used if you decide to prosecute. Collecting this physical evidence is called a "rape kit." This cannot be done at Health Services, but must be done at an emergency room or hospital. Depending on the types of sexual contact that occurred, the search for physical evidence may include taking samples from the vagina, mouth, or rectum to test for sperm cells and semen. Other evidence may be obtained from fingernail scrapings, foreign matter on your body, and the clothes you were wearing at the time of the assault.

All exam findings are completely confidential and can only be released with your written consent. If you have visible injuries, you may be asked to have photographs taken. Photographing injuries is important because by the time your assailant is prosecuted, the injuries may have healed.

Going to the hospital does not mean that you have to make a report to the police. That is your choice. The hospital staff will probably ask you to come back for a follow-up checkup. Or, you follow up with a medical provider of your choice. A counselor will be available to talk with you. Additional ongoing counseling will be available to you through the support resources of your choice.

What are common reactions?

After a sexual assault, it is normal to experience a range of feelings, physical reactions, and behavior changes. While there are similarities in how people may respond, each person will react to the incident in their own way. One person may feel intense anger and even have feelings of revenge, while another may feel numb. Below are some of the common types of reactions a person who is sexually assaulted might have:

Shock and disbelief
Immediately after the assault many people are in a state of shock. Some will act as if nothing has happened, trying to make life seem normal. Others find themselves in a daze, having difficulty focusing or getting mobilized.

Recurring thoughts and re-experiencing
There may also be periods when a person is preoccupied with thoughts and feelings about the assault. They may have unwanted memories, flashbacks or nightmares. When they think about what happened, they may re-experience some of the sensations and feelings they had during the assault, such as fear and powerlessness.

Difficult emotions
While some people experience an overwhelming amount of emotions, immediately after an assault, others find that days, months, or even years pass before feelings surface. Emotions can change rapidly. Some feelings that may surface include sadness, anger, embarrassment, guilt, fear, hopelessness, powerlessness, loneliness, confusion, and grief. Feelings can be overwhelming and some people feel like they are "going crazy." It is also common to feel numb, detached, or empty.

Self-blame and shame
A person may feel that the rape or assault was their fault or that they could have done something to prevent it. Feeling guilty, ashamed, or as if something is wrong with you is common. Shame and embarrassment can make it difficult to get help, as a person may feel that others won't believe them or will judge them.

Feeling afraid and vulnerable
Fears of darkness, of being alone, of being around people like the perpetrator, or of being raped again are common reactions. Some people feel "on edge" or easily startled.

Difficulty in relationships
Sexual assault impacts a person's ability to trust others. A person may feel alone in their experience and that no one can understand. Withdrawing from others or becoming dependent in relationships with friends, family, or intimate partners is common. A person may feel irritable or angry with the people in their lives. Sexual intimacy may be difficult and could bring up painful memories or a fear of losing control.

Other emotional or psychological effects may include:

  • Depression

  • Social withdrawal

  • Numbing/apathy (detachment, loss of caring)

  • Reduced ability to express emotions

  • Nightmares or flashbacks

  • Difficulty concentrating

  • Diminished interest in activities or sex

  • Increased sexual activity

  • Loss of self-esteem

  • Impaired memory

  • Loss of appetite

  • Thoughts of suicide and death

  • Substance abuse

  • Other psychological disorders

All of these feelings and reactions are normal responses to rape or sexual assault. It is also common for some feelings to resurface or new ones to emerge later on in a survivor's life. Periods of stress, new intimate relationships, the anniversary of the incident, or situations such as seeing the perpetrator or testifying in court, can trigger intense feelings.

(Previous 2 sections adapted from RAINN "Impact of Rape," and The Stone Center at Wellesley "Taking Care of Yourself: Sexual Abuse and Interpersonal Violence Education.") 

Related Links

The Office of Student Life, Student Handbook 
This is an online version of the Student Handbook that links to the section on policies and regulations. Brown's definition of sexual misconduct is outlined here as well as the steps taken when an assault occurs.

Day One: The Sexual Assault and Trauma Resource Center 
Day One is the RI resource for victims of sexual assault and their families. The site provides information on a range of topics, including sexual assault, child sexual abuse, internet safety and sex offender management. Day One offers individual and group counseling for survivors of sexual abuse, child sexual abuse and for their families.

Rape, Abuse, and Incest Network (RAINN) 
This web site offers information and statistics on sexual assault and can locate a local rape crisis center in your area.

Rape Treatment Center 
This web site offers information on the impact of rape, date rape drugs, facts and statistics, as well as a comprehensive list of links to other resources.

  • 401.863-2794
    Health Promotion
  • 401.863-3953
    Health Services
  • 401.863-6000
    Sexual Assault Response Line
  • 401.863-4111
  • 401.863-3476
    Counseling & Psychological Services
  • 401.863-4111