CSREA invites artists, media makers, and writers internal to Brown University (tenured and other long-term faculty) whose work focuses on race, ethnicity, and/or indigeneity in the United States and work that connects the U.S. to related transnational contexts, to apply to be a Brown Faculty Practitioner Fellow. Applicants should be pursuing creative or nonfiction projects that are primarily non-academic in nature. To workshop scholarly works, please see the application for Brown Faculty Fellows program.
Fellows will have access to Brown University resources and are invited to contribute to the academic community. There will be opportunities to present work-in-progress in a campus-wide public lecture or performance. Fellows are expected to cover their own expenses (including health benefits) for the duration of their appointment.
- This is a Mellon Foundation-funded virtual fellowship, convened primarily over Zoom, with select opportunities to gather in person.
- Awardees will receive a $2,500.00 stipend for a semester-long fellowship and have access to $1,000.00 in research/project funds.
- Attendance at the virtual Practitioner Fellows Workshop (number of sessions to be determined) is required.
- Participation at an in-person Practitioner Fellows Capstone where participants will present their work is required.
- Fellows are expected to participate in virtual social community-building activities sponsored by the Center (e.g. lectures, events, etc.)
Terms of this program may be subject to change.
For Brown University faculty of all ranks working on issues of race, ethnicity, and/or indigeneity in the U.S. and in the Americas or in related transnational contexts, who are pursuing creative and nonfiction projects that are non-academic in nature.
- Be a member of the regular faculty at Brown University
- Have the support of their Department Chair for the fellowship
Applicants must complete the application form to be fully considered. Applications will be reviewed by the CSREA Faculty Advisory Board (FAB). Other relevant faculty within or external to Brown may be consulted at the discretion of the FAB. Application deadline is Friday, July 28, 2023 at 11:59 PM Eastern Time.
Questions? Please contact CSREA Associate Director, Stéphanie Larrieux.