Application deadline: April 5, 2021, for fall 2021.
CSREA invites tenured and other long term faculty who have been approved by their home institutions to be on a funded scholarly leave and whose scholarship focuses on race, ethnicity, and/or indigeneity in the United States and in the Americas or in related transnational contexts, to apply to be a Visiting Faculty Fellow for the fall 2021 academic term. Fellows will contribute to the intellectual life of CSREA through engaged participation in scholarly and social activities at the Center.
This program is a virtual fall semester fellowship. The terms of the program may be subject to change.
Fellows will have access to Brown University resources and are invited to contribute to the academic community. There will be opportunities to present work-in-progress in a public lecture or performance. Projects should focus at least in part on issues of race, ethnicity, and/or indigeneity in the U.S. and work that connects the U.S. to related transnational contexts. Fellows are expected to cover their own expenses (including health benefits) for the duration of their appointment.
- Awardees receive a $4,500 stipend for a semester-long fellowship and have access to up to $1,000 each in research funds
- Required attendance and participation at virtual CSREA Research Fellows Seminar (number of sessions to be determined) is required
- Fellows expected to participate in social community-building activities sponsored by the Center (e.g. Wind Down Wednesdays, lectures, events, etc.)
- Be a member of the regular faculty at their home institution
- Previous CSREA Visiting Faculty Fellows are not eligible
Applicants must complete this application form and submit all requested supplementary documents via Interfolio to be fully considered. Submissions via email will not be accepted. Applicants must submit the following:
- A cover letter discussing what the applicant hopes to achieve during the fellowship period and why being affiliated with CSREA and Brown would be especially helpful in accomplishing the goals
- A current curriculum vitae (CV)
- A sample of scholarly or creative work (maximum 35 pages)
- A one-page research project abstract (500 - 800 words)
A more detailed research proposal (1,200–2,000 words, excluding the bibliography):
- The proposal should outline the research that the applicant will pursue during the term of the fellowship
- One letter of recommendation from a senior colleague from within or outside home institution
- One approval/support letter from Department Chair endorsing the application
Applications for fall 2021 academic term is due on Monday, April 5, 2021 by 5:00 p.m. EDT. Awardees will be notified in May 2021. The first convening of the selected cohort of Fellows will be in September 2021.
Questions? Please contact CSREA Program Coordinator, Saraya McPherson.