Welcome to the landing page of the Engaged Scholarship and Broader Impacts Working Group
The Engaged Scholarship and Broader Impacts (ES/BI) Working Group supports understanding of and capacity for teaching and research partnerships that involve Brown community members in advancing positive social or educational changes within and beyond the University. To learn more and get connected with a member of the ES/BI Working Group, contact [email protected] or fill out this brief form.
|Plan and Write Your BI Proposal||Brown's Existing School and Community Partnerships||Find Funding||Campus Partners|
May/June 2023: it's NSF CAREER Season! DEADLINE EXTENDED.
This spring, the Office of Research Strategy and Development (ORSD in OVPR) is organizing two events to help you develop your full proposal for an NSF CAREER award (sponsor deadline: July 26):
- Informational workshop focusing on broader impacts on April 20, 12pm-1pm Informational Workshop on Broader Impacts (Register by April 18), and
- OVPR-led mock peer review panel of your full proposal to be held the week of June 26 (register by May 15 (DEADLINE EXTENDED).
More information and registration for both events here.
Also, see here for an overview of 2023 NSF CAREER Award Proposal Writing Resources at Brown University, NSF CAREER resources Google folder can be found here.
Virtual Talk: Importance of Community Engagement and Partnerships in Research (March 1, 2023)
In March, ES/BI hosted a virtual talk by Dr. Alicia Knoedler PhD, Head of the Office of Integrative Activities (OIA), National Science Foundation. Dr. Knoedler shared her insights on best practices for developing research projects in partnership with communities, and how to leverage resources within the NSF to create better "Broader Impacts" for NSF proposals. The recording can be accessed through this Google folder (Brown shiboleth login required).
Engaged Scholarship and Broader Impacts Resources
The offices that comprise the ES/BI Working Group offer a variety of resources for developing proposals that require broader impacts components, as well as outreach and engaged scholarship activities. Please see the links below if you are looking for:
Plan and Write Your BI Proposal
- Broader Impacts Wizard 1
- Broader Impacts Wizard 2
- Creating effective Broader Impact proposals: BI Review Document
- Local statistics on education in Rhode Island: Rhode Island Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
- Assistance drafting/crafting a proposal for a grant opportunity: Research Strategy and Development - proposal development support and The Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning
- Assistance writing a Management Plan: Research Strategy and Development
- Assistance writing an Evaluation Plan: Research Strategy and Development, The Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning, and Judy Kimberly (BioMed)
- Help with a data management plan: University Library
- Discipline-specific help with a literature review or University collections of interest: University Library
- Proposal submission consultations for biomedical & clinical faculty: Advance-CTR Research Services
- Publication on BI: Julie Risien, Martin Storksdieck, Unveiling Impact Identities: A Path for Connecting Science and Society, Integrative and Comparative Biology, Volume 58, Issue 1, July 2018, Pages 58–66, https://doi.org/10.1093/icb/icy011
- Advancing Research Impact in Society (ARIS): this national organization offers many resources, including a YouTube page with event recordings.
Brown's Existing School and Community Partnerships
- Existing outreach programs at Brown: Annenberg Institute
- Opportunities for engaged scholarship: The Swearer Center
- Offering summer research experiences to diverse undergraduate students: The Leadership Alliance
- Assistance with an assessment plan (collecting or reviewing evidence of student learning): The Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning
- Advice on addressing diversity and inclusion in your research and pedagogy: OIED site, faulty retention and mentoring sites
- The Brown-Tougaloo Partnership: The Brown-Tougaloo Partnership
- Advice on incorporating distance learning or digital pedagogy into your scholarship: Brown Online Learning & Design
- Ideas on expanding your research into policy: Annenberg Institute, The Policy Lab
- Internal funding opportunities for faculty: Internal funding opportunities
- Funding opportunities for faculty from federal and private sources: External funding opportunities and the SPIN Funding Database
- Funding opportunities for graduate students and postdocs: The Next Level
- Research related policies and resources for undergraduate research: Dean of the College - Undergraduate Research
- Research related policies and resources for graduate students: Graduate School
- Office of the Vice President for Research
- The Swearer Center
- The Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning
- University Library
- Annenberg Institute
- Graduate School
- Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity
- Brown Online Learning & Design
- The Leadership Alliance
- Dean of the College - Undergraduate Research